Internal Auditor Training Resources

J

Jimmy Olson

Auditor Training

Hello everyone. I am in the process of looking at training for internal auditing. I have found a number of different courses, but was interested in hearing from people who have attended any of the training to help choose a course. If anyone has attended any internal audit courses I would appreciate hearing your comments. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
I received training from a consultant group I hired that to me was very basic and not overly helpful. I haven't attended any seminars, but I suppose that if I did, I would use one of the more recognized providers (ASQ, RAB). I hope this helps some.

Anyone else out there have a recommendation??

Kevin

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi Richard and welcome to THE COVE.

Yeah Kevin I have some recommedations.....USE ME!!!!:bigwave:

I contract with a couple of providers and do this type of training myself so I am more familiar with them.

You will find everyone to be basically the same. Approaches and content will vary some, but basically everyone who provides training conforms to requirements stipulated in ISO 10011 soon to become ISO 19001.

I send ol' Richard a private Email so as not to step on too many of my buddies toes here by not recommending them.;)

If you're new to this game Richard you will find tons of useful information and the best people in the field to get it from right here in THE COVE. Drop by often and take Marc up on the subscription materials he has (you'll save a lot of work for yourself).

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
My original internal auditor training was done by a consultant group that was helping our company get registered. It was a two day course given in-house. I then went on my own to a 16 hour lead auditor class. The internal auditor class was to me the most beneifical (excellent teacher). I also did a lot of reading and self study. The person that give the training is no longer with the consulting firm and has his own. If you are interested, I will find his number, e-mail me.

Randy

Super Moderator
What you say may be true in the US, but not (totally) so in the UK.

The UK? Oh yes, now I remember. That's the little place across the lake where we secured civilization twice and kicked their behinds twice also:biglaugh: We Americans have high expectaions for that place, insignificant as it is;)

S

Sam

"Some of us feel very strongly that it's really bad practice to train internal auditors to have the same skills as registrars' auditors."

Jim,
Can you elaborate?
I have always felt that internal auditors should be as knowledgeble as registrars auditors. IMO it tends to level the playing field. But, I may be missing something.

T

Tom W

Auditor Training

Training the internal auditor is great, but if they are not utillized and can effective implement the training, then they will soon develop lapses in their knowledge and it will make for a poor audit. I agree with everyone else that the training is almost always the same type. It follows the same principles of auditing, what makes a good auditor and a good audit. I will attach a powerpoint file I use. But again, effectively implementing the training on a continuous basis will help your internal auditor become familure with auditing and make them more effective.

Attachments

• internal.audit.training.06.02.ppt
    187.5 KB · Views: 1,423
D

db

RE: Auditor Training

Jim Wade said:
ISO 10011/19001 is bad, harmful, evil ... help, I need a stronger word!

I used to be a 'sanctioned' trainer of the AIAG "Internal Auditing for QS-9000". I even taught it at the AIAG. I felt at the time, and still do, that they spent too much time in 10011. For example, I have never known an organization to convene an evaluation panel to oversee internal auditor selection and continuation. I don’t think I totally agree with Jim’s assessment, but will say that as with anything, you must filter what you are presented with that you really need.

The biggest drawback to most (every?) internal auditor class is they seem to lack training on how to audit procedures and processes. The whole focus seems to be on compliance to the standard. Internal auditing will not be a good improvement tool if the only focus is on compliance. (I think this is part of what Jim was saying, as well).

M

M Greenaway

I'm sorry but I am totally lost by the argument that auditing compliance is a waste, and that auditing should be something 'more beneficial'.

If you are not auditing compliance to something, be it a national/international standard, business model, contract requirements, etc, etc, then all you are doing is spouting opinion. As undoubtedly that opinion is based on a very small snapshot in time it is of very little value.

D

db

Don’t get me wrong, Martin, I don’t think compliance is a waste. I think it should not be our “only” focus. Even 9K2K doesn’t address all the requirements of procedures or processes. It can’t – there is no way ISO can address all of the company level documentation. My concern, is most training focuses solely on the standard, and in many cases, doesn’t even mention how to address organizational documentation or how to audit a process.

Top Bottom