Is ISO 9001 More of a Hindrance than Help?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

For those of you who don't subscribe to "Quality", they have a new Editorial column and this guy has some great thoughts on ISO and it's future.

***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

He has some thoughts that are definitly worth some discussion.

Regards,

CarolX

(just me stirring up the pot, again!)

N

noboxwine

Amen. There are a few out there.

I look forward to reading Scott’s column every month and couldn’t agree more. So you’re not the only pot-stirrer, here is an excerpt from one of my replies to him and other controversial authors about this dear eyesore we call ISO.

…..it is my respectful opinion, as a consequence of the registration process, that ISO 9000, as we know it, is progressively on its way out, accepted by few companies worldwide, and even fewer in the States………………..I have conducted my own research on American companies and found that over 90% of them have not garnered a positive bottom line impact as a result of registration and would see no decline in their QMS should they drop registration altogether.

It’s evident to me that most registration body's stray from an objective audit to the standard to whiny objections of your business practices, in one attempt to justify their existence. But, their futile, sterile and costly tactics, whether forceful or implied, are ever dwindling, as companies are seeing no return on their investment. The incapability to add value as a result of these pointless exercises is in my view an influential mechanism to go back to a commonplace, pragmatic & effective QMS, with the absence of intimidation and exorbitant costs of a hopeless third party assessor.

………………during my many years of implementing QMS’s, on both a full time and a consulting basis, I have never, not even once, seen an improvement from the registration process, beyond an ersatz marketing utensil. Now, the market is well understanding, at a brisk rate, that the old certificate on the wall is not at all an indication of a companies ability to produce a product, as advertised, on time…………………General Managers are seeing no diminishing internal wastes and motionless customer satisfaction………….(regarding the 2000 Standard) reshuffling an already pathetic program will only add sales dollars to the registration bodies and remain valueless to the companies that are signed up……………. ISO 9000 Registration is an illogical, pointless and otherwise bizarre endeavor. It deprives business of the intent of the standard itself: Continuous Improvement. I have never, ever seen a cost effective contribution or improved Customer Satisfaction via the Certification process…………utilize most of the standard as a guideline, eliminate all registration activity and excel the business with Management Commitment, communication and an ever dwindling commodity called common-sense. With that as a foundation, you can then use Dr. Deming's and Shin Taguchi’s impeccable tools to thwart the organization into the best it can possibly be…………………………………..

Coffee anyone?
Have a day!

:thedeal: :bigwave:

D

David Mullins

If you've found ISO 9001 helpful in running your business, but cumbersome in some of the prescriptive requirements and offer little by waqy of actual efficiency/productivity and bottom-line gains, then I suggest you look at ISO 14001.

ISO 14001 will require you to invest in greater consultancy and capital works, again with no real business gain.
Next stop, try the Baldrige awards. Strategic pillars of business can be gained, assessed and then neatly demolished due to the extensive resource constraints imposed.
To detract from diminishing profitability, may I recommend a dabble in the black arts of OHSAS18001. Or perhaps a dojo of black belted, 5S wielding Total Global Maintenance transfixed stats engineers can inject the vitality into your management practices that should account for the remainder of the black ink in the ledger?

Continuous improvement, not continuous change may be the secret.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Amen. There are a few out there.

noboxwine said:

I have never, ever seen a cost effective contribution or improved Customer Satisfaction via the Certification process…………utilize most of the standard as a guideline, eliminate all registration activity and excel the business with Management Commitment, communication and an ever dwindling commodity called common-sense. With that as a foundation, you can then use Dr. Deming's and Shin Taguchi’s impeccable tools to thwart the organization into the best it can possibly be…………………………………..

Nobox,

No coffee, but I'd buy you a beer for writing what I consider a very common-sense approach. Nicely stated, IMHO.
:bigwave:

V

Vash Stampede

IMHO, what I understood is that ISO9001 alone could not reach a superior quality...it needs a lot of effort to perfect the quality system itself.

E

energy

How did I miss it?

David Mullins said:

If you've found ISO 9001 helpful in running your business, but cumbersome in some of the prescriptive requirements and offer little by waqy of actual efficiency/productivity and bottom-line gains, then I suggest you look at ISO 14001.

ISO 14001 will require you to invest in greater consultancy and capital works, again with no real business gain.
Next stop, try the Baldrige awards. Strategic pillars of business can be gained, assessed and then neatly demolished due to the extensive resource constraints imposed.
To detract from diminishing profitability, may I recommend a dabble in the black arts of OHSAS18001. Or perhaps a dojo of black belted, 5S wielding Total Global Maintenance transfixed stats engineers can inject the vitality into your management practices that should account for the remainder of the black ink in the ledger?

Continuous improvement, not continuous change may be the secret.

One of your best, Dave. I missed it somehow.
:biglaugh: :ko: :smokin:

Top Bottom