ISO 9001 Implementation - I am still confused on where to start

J

JaneB

I am still confused on where to start. Since our Management is yet to implement it I can finalize the drafts. I have asked many time for feedbacks from our VP but still it is gathering dust and they are reluctant to implement due to internal politics.
As others have said, it starts with management. Top management. It's a management system.

If that isn't there, all the rest is moot. You can't do anything without top management commitment.

Documentation isn't the issue, nor the place to start.

You say you've 'understood the requirements' but you seem to be missing the important bits.

I suggest you re-read more carefully and think closely about all the stuff in Clause 5Is it there? Is it "a happening thing"?

Because if not, forget writing documents. That's simply a waste of time. (And frustrating).

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi..
I am new to the Cove.. I am working as QM for a new division of TVS. They dont have any QMS in place. My scope of work is to develop and implement a QMS and to conduct frequent audits. I have developed some SOPs(first draft) for our standard process which has to be implemented yet. But still there are no formats etc.,

I am still confused on where to start. Since our Management is yet to implement it I can finalize the drafts. I have asked many time for feedbacks from our VP but still it is gathering dust and they are reluctant to implement due to internal politics. I feel bored at office.

Kindly suggest what can be my next step. Can I hold an ISO training at office? or shall I develop mandatory ISO documents?

Also is it mandatory to purchase ISO 9001 standard?

Please suggest...

Niranjan

It seems that you and top mgmt have opposite idea, if there is not any top mgmt sponsorship the project will fail.
Try to hire a good consultant to help the the certification once top mgmt will approve it, then implement a gap assessment on your current situation, trying to undestand where you are.
Successively make QMS identification processes in team with top mgmt and head departments. This could be the initial approach.
:bigwave:

H

huonghx

forget, you can read quality manual of your company to understand about yours company system.

J

JaneB

forget, you can read quality manual of your company to understand about yours company system.

I'm not sure who you're addressing here. The original poster wrote they don't have a QMS let alone a quality manual.

AndyN

Moved On
It seems that you and top mgmt have opposite idea, if there is not any top mgmt sponsorship the project will fail.
Try to hire a good consultant to help the the certification once top mgmt will approve it, then implement a gap assessment on your current situation, trying to undestand where you are.
Successively make QMS identification processes in team with top mgmt and head departments. This could be the initial approach.

Why would they hire a consultant? If there's no interest, they won't want to spend money on listening to something they have no interest in, will they?

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Why would they hire a consultant? If there's no interest, they won't want to spend money on listening to something they have no interest in, will they?

You are right, it was only an opinion of mine, looking at the verbiage of the post.
I thought that an externation intervation could have helped in solving doubts and so on.

J

JaneB

You are right, it was only an opinion of mine, looking at the verbiage of the post.
I thought that an externation intervation could have helped in solving doubts and so on.
Not if (as Andy rightly points out) there's no interest.

Commitment first. All the rest follows.

As the very first and alas rarely read and often not followed sentence of the 9001 Standard says:
The adoption of a quality management system should be a strategic decision of an organization.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Totally agree with the need for committment from leadership. If they're not going to stand behind it, why should the rest of the company?

If leadership is truly on board, I think an off-site course would be of value to you where you can not learn the theory of implementing a QMS, but meet others in the same position as you. It's very therapeutic (i.e., venting your frustrations...and realizing that you're not alone), but you'll also be able to do some practical exercises AND bounce ideas off of each other. Plus there is the face-to-face networking opportunity! And you gain some credibility when talking with your senior leadership (i.e., YOU took the course so YOU must know what you're talking about).

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cove and the information shared here (in case Marc reads this :cool:), but I think such a course would allow you to ask more insightful, implementation-specific questions. For example: "Who is responsible for conducting training on production work instructions?" instead of "How do I implement a QMS?".

The Cove's members' responses tend to be more value-added if the question is specific.

Top Bottom