ISO 9001 in Poultry and Livestock Operations

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Any one else?

As you know I live on a Kibbutz and am now auditing both the cow shed and the poultry hatchery as per ISO 9002. They are both registered.
Any one else audits this type of company.

J

Jim Biz

Guess there are not too many out there Howard... we're in manufacturing - so I can't help much in this area...

Wondering - do you audit these along the lines of a manufacturing process - or a service provider??

E Wall

Just Me!
Trusted Information Resource
Never have before so I have no information to provide, but I would be interested in what is done.

I could forsee a lot more 'inspection & testings' as well as 'controls' for product safety (I believe the ultimate purpose is consumption of by-products).

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I haven't been in that specific situation, but you're looking at the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the US as the main 'controller'. I'm not sure how ISO 9001 has gone over (how many have registered) in US companies overseen by the FDA. I would expect the FDA requirements to pretty well exceed ISO 9001 requirements. But - I'm guessing not being an FDA 'Pro'.

A

Aaron Lupo

Actually the FDA or QSR requirements are very similar to the ISO requirements. You do have a slight bit more to do but not much.

As far as how many companies that are governed by the FDA are ISO Certified, from my experience I would say the number is rather high, espically in the Medical Device industry. If you are giverned by the FDA you may as well go for ISO too, I mean you have to do it for the FDA you may as well reap any benefits ISO certification brings along.

A

Al Dyer

Howard,

I've audited some chicken sh*t companies but they were also in the manufacturing realm. Sorry, nothing I can really add.:bigwave:

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
I did not really expect help, it was more of a curiousity.
They are organised as manufacturing, the cows produce milk this is a product.
There is a lot of control on the health, with weekly visits from the vet. Checks on quality of milk etc.
One interesting point is that in terms of data they are much more advanced than most regular manufacturing companies, relationships of food to yield, amount of eggs hatched etc.
The whole situation of continuous improvement is very basic to the operation, levels of fat in the milk etc.
It is interesting and makes a change.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
> I did not really expect help, it was more of a curiousity.

Showing off, eh Howard?

J

Jim Biz

Seems - Judging by the thread size" Howard has sparked more curiosity on the issue than he may have had in the first place.. :cool:

L

Laura M

Close but no cigar.

I actually had a conversation with a Dairy farmer about ISO....during a golf game, over a couple of beers. Discuss the possibility and handed out a business card! Nothing came of it, but when the phone rings, Howard, I know where to go!

Cheers,

laura

Top Bottom