Kids in the office from an auditors standpoint

T

thekellyg

My new job is at a privately owned company in business since 1958. They are being pushed by large customers to become 9001 certified as quickly as possible. My question relates to kids in the workplace. The office assistant has two youngsters, one a baby and the other about 2 years old so part of the front office is effectively a nursery complete with fence, bassinet, toys etc. I'd appreciate ya'lls thoughts on this situation from an auditors standpoint.

Thanks in advance!

D

Dooglas

I suppose the children in the front office would be separate from and of no concern to an ISO auditor. Unless of course they are performing work or contributing to the process. As long as there is no direct connection or conflict of interest in having the office assistant care for her children while performing her job duties I do not think the auditor would have much to say about it.
Other organizations such as OSHA or child safety and welfare government bureaus might take some interest in the circumstances.

K

kgott

My new job is at a privately owned company in business since 1958. They are being pushed by large customers to become 9001 certified as quickly as possible. My question relates to kids in the workplace. The office assistant has two youngsters, one a baby and the other about 2 years old so part of the front office is effectively a nursery complete with fence, bassinet, toys etc. I'd appreciate ya'lls thoughts on this situation from an auditors standpoint.

Thanks in advance!

Manage this a safety issue. Carry out a risk assessment the same as you would/have for office safety taking into account all risks such as fire, crime etc. If the risk assessment shows some high risks put in place some arrangements that reduce to the risk to an acceptable level.

Show the risk assessment to the auditors if they ask about it.

Record the risk assessment and you have all bases covered.

F

Freddyfred

I have been to AS9100 audit where there is a dog in the office area. As long as it does not create issue with FOD control, its fine with me.

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
Got an 18 month old and I completely shudder at the thought of him being at work with me. He is quick, unpredictable at times and has a deep fascination with understanding how things work. That last one means he likes to stick his fingers in things, take things apart (so he can try to put it back together again) and generally would cause a fair amount of havoc at my place of employment. Let alone the major safety considerations of fork lifts, heavy machinery,etc all around the site.

In an office it is different but I hope those fences stop the 2 year old getting anywhere near office equipment. The office joke about photocopiers and office parties is one thing but a toddler let loose on one...

I think as others said it is down to a good risk assessment and risk mitigation such as fences. I do want to praise the employer who allows it, of course as a family business it is possible the children are part of that family. Wouldn't want to be an employee who had to tell the boss his kids or grand-kids had to go.

I'd appreciate ya'lls thoughts on this situation from an auditors standpoint.
As an auditor I would regard it as just interesting and nothing more. It really must be up to the boss to decide if it is OK or not. Safety is another matter. As offices go, ours must be regarded as pretty safe, but I would not have wanted my daughter roaming the place at that age. :mg: She was too inventive by far (still is, at 19 yo :rolleyes:).

That said, it could affect the efficiency in the office. If the baby gets a tummy ache, for instance, and proceeds to create the sound effects inherent to that condition for an entire day, or even longer... :crybaby: Well, you know the drill: I would not bet on much work getting done in the office that day, not to mention efficient work. :notme:

At the end of the day I'm on the same track as TPMB4: If it is fine with the boss and the safety (and sanity ;) )of all concerned is reasonably assured, I would have no problem with it.

T

thekellyg

Thank you all for your input! The office manager (grandmother to the youngsters) asked me about them and outside of the safety concerns ya'll have noted, I couldn't think of any issues either but wanted to get outside feedback. They are restricted to only the area behind the fence so I think we're good.

Thanks again!

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Much will depend on your external auditors. I worked in a company that was "dog-friendly" and had an external auditor of an ethnic persuasion that takes a dim view of canines.

He was surprised by a strange dog barking at him, made a bit of a fuss. We placated him by drafting a policy document stating that you couldn't bring an animal to work without your supervisor's approval.

Given the similarities between children and animals, I think you're correct in that risk analysis and adaquate risk management is appropriate. I always wished I still had one of my horses when it was "bring your pet to work Friday".

I'm all for childcare supportive workplaces, as long as they're managed properly. I have seen some instances of wandering youngsters posing a distraction.

Top Bottom