Major Customer requires a contingency response plan to a possible Avian Flu Pandemic

sonflowerinwales

In the country
Gets me thinking

Been following this post, thinking, this won't happen to me, safe and sound in SOuth Wales UK. I then asked some key staff "what if our 4 main suppliers couldn't supply us with the volumes we need?" We would be deeply in the mire was the answer. As a direct result, I'm going to be writing to our supplliers asking what provisions they have made. We may only be a small company, but we rely on supplies from USA, Japan and Germany.
Paul

:thanx:

J

JRKH

Virus in Germany

Claes Gefvenberg said:
... and if I'm not mistaken, the virus is in Germany already?

/Claes

According to the last map I saw it has been confirmed in wild birds in Germany but not in poultry. It has been found in poultry in France.

Later I'll post a couple of links for those interested.

James

sonflowerinwales

In the country
Just found

I've just found this on the site www.internationalsos.com

Last Updated: March 10, 2006 00:44 GMT

GERMANY

Areas affected
Germany first detected H5N1 in mid-February 2006. Two swans and one hawk were infected on the island of Ruegen. Within a week, the disease quickly spread over the island. A total of 59 cases occurred within the first week the disease was discovered there. A state of catastrophe was declared in the sparsely populated resort island.

Ruegen is in the northeastern state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Two birds on the mainland portion of that state were discovered infected within days. The disease spread to wild ducks in three more states by February 28: the northwestern state of Schleswig-Holstein, the southwestern state of Baden Wuerttemberg, the eastern state of Brandenburg (which surrounds Berlin) and the southern state of Bavaria.

Germany also found the disease among three cats in February. All were found in Reugen, near Schaprode. In early March, Germany announced a second mammalian species infected with the disease. A sick stone marten was discovered on Ruegen, again in the Schaprode area. This animal is part of the weasel family, and is presumed to have been infected through feeding on infected birds. It is the first time avian flu has been detected in this species.

Feline species are known to be susceptible to bird flu, and it is possible that the cat acquired the infection from eating an infected bird. Residents have been advised to keep domestic cats indoors and avoid contact with stray cats.

In early March, Lower Saxony became the sixth German state to report the disease among birds. As of March 9, the disease was detected in 125 wild birds.

No poultry is allowed to move into or out of affected areas, and Germany's declared a nationwide ban on keeping poultry outdoors. They hope keeping domestic birds inside will prevent contact with wild birds and thus prevent the animals from becoming infected with avian flu.

Human cases
Germany has not reported any human cases of avian influenza.

Makes you think!
:eek:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
sonflowerinwales said:
Feline species are known to be susceptible to bird flu, and it is possible that the cat acquired the infection from eating an infected bird. Residents have been advised to keep domestic cats indoors and avoid contact with stray cats.

It's interesting that the "lowest" form of life (and biologists question whether viruses even qualify for that designation) has the capacity to wreak havoc with the normally well-ordered food chain.

J

JRKH

Planning info

I had a request for more info on the planning so I decided to attach an edited copy of the cover letter we recieved. Included is a World Health Organization description of Pandemic stages. Plus a link to a planning checklist from the US CDC.

Hope this helps anyone interested.

James

Attachments

• Flu Planning.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 200
Top Bottom