Management Representative ensures the promotion of awareness of customer requirements

A

Andrews

Management Representative

ISO 9001:2000 says that management representative should ensure the promotion of awareness of customer requirement throughout the organisation. How can we provide evidence of meeting this requirement.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Originally posted by gpainter
How do your workers know what to produce for the customers? Your anawer is one way.

I think this answer is to simplistic.
As part of the training of the staff reference should be made to customer requirements, e.g. Packaging should have copies and be aware of specific standards.
The question is not just what to produce for the customers but
awarness of the specific requirements that will bring customer satisfaction and enhance your businesss

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
The answer to my question for most would be the control plan for the specific product ,which would give requirements and answer Howard's question

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
First off, I love the loop that 5.5.2 (c) is a part of. The Management Representative is responsible for "ensuring the promotion of awareness of customer requirements throughout the organization." Yet 5.1 (a) states that Top Management is responsible for "communicating to the organization the importance of meeting customer as well as statutory and regulatory requirements." Almost sounds like the Management Rep is responsible to ensure that Top Management does its job. :)

However, promoting the awareness of customer requirements can be done in a multitude of ways....

- Company newsletters or bulletin board postings with a featured "Customer of the Month."

- Company intranet (if you're lucky enough to have) with the same idea as above.

- Attending department meetings and explaining how the department affects the organization's ability to meet customer requirements. Minutes from the meeting are the record that this "promoting" occurred.

- Training for new/transferred employees to explain how their new position affects the organization's ability to meet customer requirements.

There is probably a whole slew of ways that the Management Rep can ensure this promotion occurs...some are just more formal than others.

E

energy

Good question

Originally posted by Howard Atkins

I think this answer is too simplistic.
As part of the training of the staff reference should be made to customer requirements.
The question is not just what to produce for the customers but
awarness of the specific requirements that will bring customer satisfaction and enhance your businesss

I agree, Howard.

gpainter's reference to a control chart which would have the Customer's product requirements isn't necessarily under the Mgt Rep's domain. Also, the confusion comes from the words "promotion of awareness". There is very little help in 9004-2000 Guidelines on how you address (c) of 5.5.2. I would tend to lean towards training in ISO Customer related requirements such as Customer Satisfaction, Communication, etc.. and the training records as evidence that the Mgt Rep is promoting awareness of customer requirements throughout the organization. We don't really care about one specific customer's product requirements. That's handled in Product Realization. We want to promote Customer's Requirements as a way to ensure that everybody in the company looks at all Customers the same way. JMHO

Andrews question is one of those questions that can create all kinds of views on what the standard really means. I'm betting that this thread will continue as the experts weigh in. :frust: :ko: :smokin:

M

M Greenaway

My guess is that this requirement is different from the product realisation/review of customer requirements clause, but fits in more with the customer satisfaction/feedback clause.

I had a neat idea where the customer feedback was used to set the quality objectives for the company, and these company objectives cascade down to departmtental objectives and activities. Hence you have killed three birds kinda with one neat stone i.e. customer focus, quality objectives, and promotion of customer awareness.

Does this sound like a useful methodology to anyone ?

E

energy

Kinda

Originally posted by M Greenaway
My guess is that this requirement is different from the product realisation/review of customer requirements clause, but fits in more with the customer satisfaction/feedback clause.
I had a neat idea where the customer feedback was used to set the quality objectives for the company, and these company objectives cascade down to departmtental objectives and activities. Hence you have killed three birds kinda with one neat stone i.e. customer focus, quality objectives, and promotion of customer awareness.
Does this sound like a useful methodology to anyone ?

Right on. We are currently measuring the types of Complaints/Feedback we get. While we have some objectives established, after we compile enough information for trending, they will indeed become quality objectives and departmental goals. There are short customer surveys packed with the parts and other plans on the table for Salespeople to aquire this type of information during Customer calls, in person or telephone. As the Management Rep, I can use my posted Pareto Charts showing Customer perceptions of our company to demonstrate "promotion" of customer requirements to the organization. I like RCBeyette's response, too. We must have posting at the same time or I would have yielded to that explanation as more than adequate. :ko: :smokin:

S

Sandyr

How do all of you feel about the process for customer communication. I have been going around in circles with this.
I documented sort of a matrix that calls out the critical portions of our process. I listed RFQ,, Quote, Engineering specs, Purchase order, production release, ASN, etcc... and then I put next to each one the responsible department and how it is corresponded. Does anyone have any better ideas of how they documented and also what they documented as this is really starting to drive me!! :lmao:

gpainter

Quite Involved in Discussions
How do you do it. print,phone, internet, intranet, fax,. Be able to show how you communicate with Customers and potential Customers. No procedure required. In response to post 10

Last edited:
Top Bottom