Milestone Day

S

samsung

Congrats Jennifer from me as well. You very much deserve it for all your hard efforts even at this age. Fantastic !

Thank you very much.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Today is a long-awaited day. I will graduate with a double Masters: Human Resources and Organizational Leadership. Be afraid, very afraid! :naughty:

Next up: pass the SSBB exam in October.
Congratulations on the achievement!
After that: I think I will write another book, maybe this one will get published. I think I will call it "When First Comes Last...Why Leaders Fail at Human Performance, and What To Do About It"

You may have noticed I've been in a funk for the past month or so. While driving to work on Thursday I understood in a flash why I felt so bad. In a single term "Corporate Anorexia" I diagnosed what was going on, and was able to depersonalize my feelings. In other words, I shed the urge to blame my boss. :D
<SNIP>
From your link - the crucial part of the definition
Anorexia, whether it be human or corporate, is a disease, not a cure. Corporate anorexia is a fear-and-denial-driven, dangerous reaction to often real competitive threats. In the final analysis, the status quo may be improved, but temporary gains are, after all, just temporary.
Of course, Deming was the one who diagnosed the underlying condition for most corporate diseases - FEAR! As I frequently preach, "knowledge is power!" but, for some unknown reason, most corporate drones are even afraid of reaching out for knowledge as you have. Thus, they perpetuate the cycle of ignorance and never look for the root cause of their corporate malaise. Without knowing/recognizing the root cause, no cure [corrective action?] will be devised. Maybe, just maybe, your book may be the beacon to penetrate the fog.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Congratulations on the achievement! From your link - the crucial part of the definition Of course, Deming was the one who diagnosed the underlying condition for most corporate diseases - FEAR! As I frequently preach, "knowledge is power!" but, for some unknown reason, most corporate drones are even afraid of reaching out for knowledge as you have. Thus, they perpetuate the cycle of ignorance and never look for the root cause of their corporate malaise. Without knowing/recognizing the root cause, no cure [corrective action?] will be devised. Maybe, just maybe, your book may be the beacon to penetrate the fog.
This is quite right. The studies I read about Layoff Survivorship pointed straight at the concept of using fear as a simple means to gain cooperation. And it works for a little while, then people become resentful - and they were not just studying Westerners.

When I received my "flash" on Thursday I felt as though I had coined a new term, but of course I researched it and found it was actually pretty old stuff. The article I linked is from the 1990s. There are many, many out there like it, and also that talk about Survivor Syndrome" in people who remain after layoffs.

Instead of feeling let down for not having come up with a breakthrough piece of insight or even a new term, I felt better right away in learning how it seems to normal to feel as I've been feeling. And while it's sad to be among such good company, it helped me to let go of my angst right away.

I was talking about it with my daughter. She struggles with mental illness and was bothered with the casual-looking handling of the Anorexia term; then I told her about all the years-old material I found that used the exact term. It's even on the online dictionaries! And I explained the serious nature of the similarities and she seemed to get past her misgivings.

I have heard of one top manager wondering how he could tell if he had cut too deep, if it was going to produce a bad outcome. I do not feel sure the person who fielded his question fired back, "If you can tell, it's too late!"

I will address subjects like that and like my Stealth Quality Series articles, and include how to measure to understand impact and how to head problems off at the pass. I haven't seen such material in the Business Management section at the book store. Maybe I can be the forerunner at something. Certainly I have finally found my niche. As with so many things in QA most people who really need it won't take heed, because top executive compensation is very handsomely stacked with corporate anorexia.

Until then, it seems I'm officially eddicated. :D And for the moment, that's enough. I'm the sort that innately and profoundly needs to have a sense of higher purpose, so deciding to write a book on human performance for leaders felt so right. It gives me a sense of purpose. I need that, and am perfectly happy to come up with it on my own if I can't get the feeling at the paid workplace.
:2cents:

Thank you to everyone. You are very nice to me. :eek:

A

Al Dyer

The strength and determination to take on such an effort is a real testament to personal drive and attitude. We do not see that very often and it is heartwarming to see it in our small group. Congratulations and the best of luck. Although we seem to make our own luck in the long run.

Al...

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Covegratulations, Jennifer! :agree1: Now the real work begins? :mg:
Heh. Thank you. Writing is the easiest part. There will be research, but I already have a lot of the sources I need. Getting published is the hard part. I've already run the gamut of rejections from my first book. I think I will talk with Craig Cochran about what he did.

Top Bottom