Mix(ed) up Procedure

M

mr. veen

Hello everybody!

I still think this is one of the best resources when it comes to ISO, good work Marc!

Now, let's get to the point. I've been ordered to implement a Mixed up procedure which will have to ensure that our products don't get mixed up duiring the process. We don't want the customer receive the wrong product or twenty different products in one order when it has to be only one product.

My question is: does anyone have experience in implementing a similar procedure?

I would be greatfull if someone could help me.

With kind regards,

Sander Veen, The Netherlands ( :cool: it's cold today :cool: )

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Is it that much of an issue?!?!

Mr, Veen, if you don't mind me asking, does your organization frequently mix up product? I mean, is it a common occurence for your company to give the wrong product to the wrong Customer? And how is it thought that writing a procedure for this help? What is/are truly the root cause(s) to this mix up happening?

My organization has no such mix up procedure...preferring to take a pro-active approach than reactive. Our documented processes, our structured training system, our whole business management system has the tools within it to help avoid such mixups from occurring.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Occasionally, Sales (who is not located at our site) will tell us to ship Product XYZ, when they meant XZY...typos are the main reason for our Customers receiving incorrect product, but this kind of situation is easily resolved between us and the Customer.

C

Craig H.

RCBeyette said:
Mr, Veen, if you don't mind me asking, does your organization frequently mix up product? I mean, is it a common occurence for your company to give the wrong product to the wrong Customer? And how is it thought that writing a procedure for this help? What is/are truly the root cause(s) to this mix up happening?

My organization has no such mix up procedure...preferring to take a pro-active approach than reactive. Our documented processes, our structured training system, our whole business management system has the tools within it to help avoid such mixups from occurring.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Occasionally, Sales (who is not located at our site) will tell us to ship Product XYZ, when they meant XZY...typos are the main reason for our Customers receiving incorrect product, but this kind of situation is easily resolved between us and the Customer.

I agree that a proactive approach should be taken. First, where in the process are the "mix ups" happening? Address those first. Is it because of labeling that is hard for employees to read? Do they know what to look for and why part XZY is different than XYZ? Why is the difference important to the customer? Do employees understand this?

We could write a procedure that says "do not mix up the products", but without addressing the sytem that is producing the mix ups, a procedure will have little effect.

Craig

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Mr. Veen,

In my personal experience, mix-ups are most often the result of not properly labeling the product as it moves from the start of the overall process to the end, especially when changing from one process step to another. (Maybe it is different for you, I don't know). But if so, I would guess the issue is already addressed by your documents related to ISO 9001-2000 section 7.5.3 Identification and Traceability. As others have said, just writing another document may not help any, especially because you may not know what to write yet. I might try going out on the floor where this has happened before and ask the employees for their input, spend some time with the process, etc. Maybe some simple changes and increased awareness can correct the problem.

M

mshell

Mr. Veen

I agree with the other responses. Another procedure is not going to resolve the issue. If you walk the process or initiate a corrective action for the area responsible for the mix up and let the production employees assist with the root cause analysis and solution implementation, you will get more bang for your buck.

mshell

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
mshell said:
Mr. Veen

I agree with the other responses. Another procedure is not going to resolve the issue. If you walk the process or initiate a corrective action for the area responsible for the mix up and let the production employees assist with the root cause analysis and solution implementation, you will get more bang for your buck.

mshell
I like the trend of mshell's reply, Mr. Veen. The situation (mixing orders) you describe is almost always a symptom of a deeper "root cause." I have lots of experience in dealing with "error proofing" a supply chain (my own or a supplier's.)

It appears your organization needs to examine every process in the supply chain and establish a uniform protocol to deal with each and every order. Here's a simple list of 4 basic factors to include in your supply chain.
  1. product ID is clear and concise, so it is difficult to make simple typo or other dyslexic error - sometimes requires changing nomenclature
  2. confirm order with customer (to assure no slip twixt lip, ear, order form)
  3. create "traveler" which lists all goods in the order to follow goods from order desk to shipping dock (instant reference for order requirements)
  4. each person in supply chain affirms goods match traveler at that point in chain (accountability)

G

Greg B

Analysis

Mr Veen,

We perform a Job Risk Analysis (JRA) and work out what could go wrong with a process or job before we commence it. This includes Safety, Environmental, Procedural and Quality (Contamination etc). I may perform an audit and highlight potential problems or known problems, as you have suggested, and one of the ways to close out the audit findings is to perform a JRA. The team will sit down and go thru a process 'step by step' and grade the risks involved with the process. The process is then to limit or remove the risks. Eg: Engineered out, Trained out, Administered out (new process, checklist), etc tec.

Hope this helps.

Greg B

Top Bottom