Monitoring and Measurement of Processes - ISO 9001

A

angievictoria

Greeting to all,
I am a new comer in this forum. Currently I am working in a technical service provider company and our clients are from the oil and gas industry. Our services is to provide competent inspector and equipment to project site to deliver our services. In regards to the company biz, how should i address this monitoring and measurement of processes. Please provide guidance or is there a sample copy of the procedure which i can reference. Thanks

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: ISO - monitoring and measurement of processes

............Please provide guidance or is there a sample copy of the procedure which i can reference. .................

I am afraid not. This requirement is wide ranging. It is one of those where you or your organization decides on what you want to do to comply and then show or demonstrate that you had done so.

Read this recent thread for a better understanding: Process Measurement - ISO 9001:2008 Clause 8.2.3 - Whats your Interpretation

Welcome to the Cove

Last edited:

AndyN

Moved On
Greeting to all,
I am a new comer in this forum. Currently I am working in a technical service provider company and our clients are from the oil and gas industry. Our services is to provide competent inspector and equipment to project site to deliver our services. In regards to the company biz, how should i address this monitoring and measurement of processes. Please provide guidance or is there a sample copy of the procedure which i can reference. Thanks

Hello and welcome:

The simple question you can probably answer for yourself is - how do we measure what we do now? Or, if, by some chance, your management aren't measuring your processes, what would give an indication that you were working effectively for the client and your bottom line (and any regs, of course!).

That would be what you'd define - no 'procedure' required...

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Greeting to all,

Angie,

Please do not copy someone else's procedure. Analyze your process instead.:mg:

Start with how the inspector is briefed on the requirements for the service and the procedures for delivery of that service. Make notes to capture this.

Then capture what the inspector does to monitor (and measure if necessary) the effectiveness of the service delivery process. And capture what the inspector does to correct the service delivery process. How often can the service delivery process be corrected before work has to stop for corrective action (root causes removal).

How often does the supervisor or manager follow-up to see how the work is going? Capture that too.

Then decide if you need to describe what you have captured as part of the procedure used to control the service delivery process.

Please do not assume that process monitoring/measurement is not already happening. If you provide a successful service then it is being done; you just have to look for it.

John

P

prabhatchaddha

Angie,

Start with how the inspector is briefed on the requirements for the service and the procedures for delivery of that service. Make notes to capture this.

Then capture what the inspector does to monitor (and measure if necessary) the effectiveness of the service delivery process. And capture what the inspector does to correct the service delivery process. How often can the service delivery process be corrected before work has to stop for corrective action (root causes removal).

How often does the supervisor or manager follow-up to see how the work is going? Capture that too.

Then decide if you need to describe what you have captured as part of the procedure used to control the service delivery process.

Please do not assume that process monitoring/measurement is not already happening. If you provide a successful service then it is being done; you just have to look for it.

John

very rightly said:agree:

A

angievictoria

Angie,

John

Thanks for the guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Angie,

John,
Thanks for the guidance.

Angie,

You are welcome.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Greeting to all,

Clause 4.1 addresses some of this. I would encourage you to read it in the ISO 9004 standard as well. More info in cl 4.1 and cl 7.

You need to define each process in your system. You need to decide how to evaluate effectiveness for each process, based on the inputs and outputs.

I have found a useful additional defining step is for the team to define the purpose for each process, even if it seems obvious. For example, the Purchasing process buys stuff. That is obvious. But, as the team discusses it, you find the purpose is actually to identify and develop good, responsive suppliers, who can be depended on to provide consistent service and delivery, good product, and prices that are fair and reasonable. Now, the Purchasing process is defined clearly enough that the criteria for effectiveness become more clear, which can lead to a better defining of what features should be measured.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Greeting to all,

Hello Angie,

Look at this post + attachments. The Process Matrix shows clearly what's being "measured." I use this in my training/consulting work to provide a Client an example of how "Monitoring and Measurement" can be accomplished.

Stijloor.

Q

qualitytrec

Greeting to all,

I would suggest that you need to identify your Key Operational Indicators. These are the measure of how successful you are in meeting customer and company expectations. You need to look at the inputs, process and outputs to find these.
The inputs could include:
Contractual agreements
Company policy
industry standards
government regulations etc...

The Process could include things like:
Yield
WIP
waste
Cycle time etc...

The output could be:
RTY
over or under production
expidited services
ontime delivery etc...

these would define your measurement system. For procedures you could look to Mil-Stds, ISO documentation and professional organization of related fields for guidance. As cautioned earlier make it your own do not copy others it will cause undo pain to your organization.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Top Bottom