Preventive Action

C

C Emmons

Is there a reason that Training could not be considered a Preventive Action?

For instance: Transportatin Industry - Winter coming - want to try and prevent accidents - If we initiate a special "Defensive Driving in the Winter Month" training course for all of our drivers - could we document that as a preventive action??

C

C Emmons

Whew! Thank you! I have been seriously struggling with this one!

C

C Emmons

What about this? We have a preventive maintenance shedule for all of our trucks - is that not in itself a preventive action-although it is not documented on a preventive action form!

B

Bruce Wade

I would disagree that this type of training could be considered preventive action. Training to avoid easily foreseen conditions, which may occur with some regularity, would be required under ISO 9001:2000; 6.2.2 - Competence, awareness and training.

As for preventive maintenance, I also do not believe it would fall under preventive action. Again, schedules for preventive maintenance are derived from understanding probable mechanical breakdowns naturally occurring in the process, and taking reasonable action to prevent major disruptions. This would fall under ISO 9001:2000; 6.3 - Infrastructure and 6.4 - Work environment.

While both are good efforts and should garner positive results, neither would be preventive action, IM(NTB)HO.

Do not stress too much over not having preventive actions to document for your system. Such actions are rare in a truly vigilant concern. Perhaps you already built and effectively implemented processes to mitigate most or all negative impacts...

C

C Emmons

Well, I am going through the 1st part of my transition audit in January - the registrars auditors conveyed that they are struggling with auditing this as much as companies are with proving them. They stated that they would expect to see at least one. Just trying to make sure I can come up with a valid one!

C

C Emmons

Bruce Wade:

Ok - what if I approached it like this.....Based on statistical data reveiwed we found a trend of increased accidents during the winter months. In an effort to change the trend we decided to begin "Winter Weather Defensive Driving Reviews". Would that not be a preventive action as well as support the continual improvement process? (Not to mention it was based on statistical data and a trend was identified? I guess I dont see anything that says training can not be used as a preventive action?

Any thoughts?

B

Bruce Wade

I believe ISO 9001:2000 requires a documented procedure for identification of opportunities for preventive action, analysis and follow through when preventive ation is taken, etc. I have not seen where the document requires a preventive action to have been documented and followed through, prior to certification.

If your process is out of control and there are many instances where you could have prevented nonconformance with some level of foresight, I would also expect to see active use of preventive action. My position would be that true preventive action is rare. Expecting one to be documented for certification purposes seems a stretch to me.

I would ask the registrar to show where having a preventive action documented is required in the standard...

B

Bruce Wade

It would depend...

If the action were based on analysis of general accident rates in your area in previous inclement weather conditions, while your drivers accident rates were not increased in similar situations, then I would concur this to be preventive action. This would also be true if you had not previously examined the accident rates of your drivers. If noting outside statistics caused you to examine your internal rates and implement training to prevent future occurrences, I would consider this preventive action.

If the training was in response to a pattern where your drivers had experienced increased accident rates during previous winters, even if the local statistics also indicated increased rates during these same time periods and your drivers were consistent with local averages, I would consider this corrective action.

The key would be the population from which you drew the statistics.

Preventive versus corrective action often boils down to semantics...

A

ARUMPLE

Our organization uses preventive actions that focus on products and services. example quality trends- operator notices the quality of the product is poor (chart indicates). he fills out a PA form, the process is flagged! Engineering reviews & investigates the processes (man, method, machine, material and measurement). If not solved by engineering a cross-function problems solving team is formed to potential causes. Once solved the quality plan is usually changed to control and remove the variation. The transportation industry seems to be more service oriented. Preventive action should be more focused to prevent loss and add value to the customers needs in quality, delivery,and cost. an opportunity to improve!

Top Bottom