Problem Solving using PDCA/A3 - Tips & Exercise

E

ekonom

Next month, I will lead a workshop (ca 6-7 hours); for ca 10 people who are part of a Lean network. Vi should take a closer look at problem solving using PDCA and A3 methodology. I know that the best would be to address a real problem in any of the participant companies and try to "apply" the different parts of PDCA/A3 methodology on it. But I have not possibility to do this, therefore I'm wondering - how to introduce and train participants in PDCA/A3 methodology in a classroom on the best way.

Are there any of you who have conducted a similar workshop? Do you have some tips on how to set up and implement this workshop? I think I will run a kind of imaginary problem and shows by means of PDCA/A3 how to go about solving this problem. Does anyone have any good exercise/game/simulation about PDCA and A3?

That said, workshop is at 6-7 hours and the participation has varied knowledge of Lean, but all have a basic understanding of it. Personally, I am well versed in both lean and PDCA/A3.

Best regards

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
well, I either make up a case study (not that hard to do) or I take a real example I've worked on and make it a somewhat generic.

you could use any of the lean push to pull games described on the internet and have them play teh game the push way and use PDCA/A3 approach to apply their collective lean knowledge to come up with a better pull process.

an example description is found here: the dot game

A

amit_rd

I am training on problem solving for quite some time now, and my recommendation is to take generic examples rather than the industrial problems. Let the participants first understand the principles well and then they may apply it to the real world.

You may take examples from kitchen as they are usually known to all and everyone relates and participates. Let them realize the importance of each step - after every step of the exercise you ask them to write their learning and then only explain the benefits. This way they will own it!

One more idea: Please but some tokens/pebbles and give one token to anyone who asks questions/offers an answer or participation and at the end who gets the most may be rewarded. This increases interest and participation.

Best of luck

Top Bottom