Processes Qualification Issues - Huge number of Parts from our Supply Chain

C

Corsair

Hello,

We are in a situation that has became difficult to handle because of the huge amount of parts (composites) from our supply chain, been out of spec- and sent to us under concessions.
I explained to my bosses that we are part to blame for, in sending inexperience people to handle these Qualification Processes,(my boss is part of that team).
In the mean time we are not doing enough into trying to resolve this problem from the Quality standpoint.
SPC, Cpk are not done by the suppliers, CAPA and Root Causes not answered at all.
Any thougths?

:thanx:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: Processes Qualification Issues.

What does your boss say when you outlined the issues?

How are explaining your concerns? Confrontational? Defensive? In a langugage/format that management understands?

Are you demonstrating WHAT the impact is of these failures further down the line in your process (i.e., cost of quality)?

S

SvanRaay

suggestions.

require customers to submit cause and corrective actions with the concessions. tell them the review of the concession will not start until cause and corrective action have been identified and is being implemented. never accept the same concession twice from the same supplier.

generate a drop dead point where unanswered corrective actions result in the loss of approval of a supplier. (everyone cares when the money stops rolling in). maybe put a requirement in your approved supplier procedure requiring additional on sites when they are shut down twice in a year or something like that.

be careful though, because you dont want to lose all your suppliers. leave yourself some wiggle room.

C

Corsair

RC, we have a good relation with management,what happen is that on the qualification team there are always a customer rep- usually with little knowledge of the processes and these people looks like they are in control.
My boss do not get to vote on this.
Yes, we already paying the price of poor quality.

Svaan, in not starting the concessions until the CA is answered, we think of that but we could not afforded becuase on the tigth schedule on the deliveries. We already behind schedule.

:thanks:

J

jmann

Without focusing on Long Term fixes too much here, I suggest that your company develop expectations similar to the APQP process or those familiar with Toyota's SQAM process. We took a very similar approach (I now work in Food and Beverage) and developed a manual to drive these expectations to our suppliers. That was the first part, we are now working with them to retroactively fix/improve their process to meet our expectations. It is critical to work with your purchasing team on this venture as you look at new suppliers and how you want to properly qualify them.

Short term in your current situation, I would speak with your procurement team and understand what the contract stipulates. If you have the ability, make your suppliers accountable for their process and have them rework/sort 100% (assuming you have the data to show they have a problem) until they implement their long term fixes. Or, enlist in a third party company to perform the sorting and eat the cost and charge back. If they refuse to make improvements then start working with your purchasing team to begin the process of disqualification and work toward a new supplier.

Just my :2cents:

S

SvanRaay

Svaan, in not starting the concessions until the CA is answered, we think of that but we could not afforded becuase on the tigth schedule on the deliveries. We already behind schedule.

:thanks:
we can always find a reason to not do something. the problem is that doing nothing will not rectify the situation (unless your lucky).

start something small. say create a supplier mission success group, identify bad actors and help improve them. remember that helping them to some extent help you.

Top Bottom