QMS (Quality Management System) on Intranet - Business Case

D

dvyws

Hi all

I've been tasked with producing a justification for putting the embryo QMS on to the corporate Intranet, rather than just using Word docs on the network. There are a lot of internal politics involved here, so I want to make the right decision, but with your vast collective knowledge, please could you recommend which way should we be gtoing, and why?

Thanks

david:thanx:

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: QMS on Intranet - Business Case

Hi all

I've been tasked with producing a justification for putting the embryo QMS on to the corporate Intranet, rather than just using Word docs on the network. There are a lot of internal politics involved here, so I want to make the right decision, but with your vast collective knowledge, please could you recommend which way should we be gtoing, and why?

Thanks

david:thanx:

Welcome to The Cove Forums!! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Here is an idea.

Read the post and link.

Stijloor.

D

dvyws

Welcome to The Cove Forums!! :bigwave: :bigwave:

Read the post and link.

Stijloor.

Now THAT is interesting. I think we might have problems actually implementing it, due mainly to internal politics (I work for Local Government).

But I will be putting it up as an option for consideration.

david

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator

Now THAT is interesting. I think we might have problems actually implementing it, due mainly to internal politics (I work for Local Government).

Hi David,

These examples of wiki use in government might help your case: USA, Australia.

Good luck!
Pancho

D

dvyws

Hi David,

These examples of wiki use in government might help your case: USA, Australia.
Good luck!
Pancho

Many thanks for those.

I think I'm going to have to walk before I run, though, and initially at least concentrate on justifying the QMS being on the Intranet. Moving to a Wiki would be a future improvement...

david

Z

zekeQA

Do you have any experience with SharePoint? You might consider using this tool so that all employees have access. It really is just a very advanced database that looks and acts like a directory. So you get the internet capability with the directory structure.

Sharepoint allows for records to be automatically deleted when they expire. It includes routings for documents for approval, and a lot of other great tools.

It makes it slightly easier to get and control documents, but it is really not all that different. I don't think that there is a huge cost differential either way.

You indicate that there are varying opinions, what are they? Or is this normal politics?

M

mguilbert

Do you have any experience with SharePoint? You might consider using this tool so that all employees have access. It really is just a very advanced database that looks and acts like a directory. So you get the internet capability with the directory structure.

Sharepoint allows for records to be automatically deleted when they expire. It includes routings for documents for approval, and a lot of other great tools.

It makes it slightly easier to get and control documents, but it is really not all that different. I don't think that there is a huge cost differential either way.

You indicate that there are varying opinions, what are they? Or is this normal politics?

Where I work we use Sharepoint. There is a basic version which we use that is free. So they only cost would be setting it up where there are many good books to that or you can hire or use your IT dept. It is an MS office program and allows you to analyze data very easily. :2cents:

Peter Fraser

Trusted Information Resource
David

I would turn it the other way round - why on earth would you NOT use your Intranet for the QMS / BMS?

Whether you use Sharepoint or any other Doc Mgt software, or none at all, the published BMS can point to related documents, but if you design and structure the BMS well then you can make it easy to control the supporting documentation AND make it easy for users to find what they want.

One key question would be who will use the BMS, and for what? (OK, that's two...)

I am not sure that I would be using Word for the essential elements, though.

D

dvyws

David

I would turn it the other way round - why on earth would you NOT use your Intranet for the QMS / BMS?

Whether you use Sharepoint or any other Doc Mgt software, or none at all, the published BMS can point to related documents, but if you design and structure the BMS well then you can make it easy to control the supporting documentation AND make it easy for users to find what they want.

One key question would be who will use the BMS, and for what? (OK, that's two...)

I am not sure that I would be using Word for the essential elements, though.

Why would I not use it? can't think ofany reason why I wouldn't want to. but it's not me that has to be convinced. This place is truly amazing, it hasn't occurred to anyone (both within and outside the IT department) to leave the politics to the politicians, and actually do their day job.

I've used Sharepoint before, and we do have it, but for some reason (I suspect lack of knowledge of its capabilities) it isn't popular. That's a battle for the future, though.

We are actually fairly clear on who the system will be aimed at, and what they will use it for - the business directorates need to be very clear on our policies, and have visibility of at least our top level processes,l which is why I wanted to put it on to the intranet, so it;s available to them.

But bear in mind that this is only one of a dozen little bunfights going on here, and its by no means the most important to the participants - some of whom seem to be in "rearranging the decckchairs as the Titanic slips slowly below the waves" mode.

But things are actually improving, albeit very slowly!

Thanks for the input, though - much appreciated.

david

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi David, and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:
please could you recommend which way should we be gtoing, and why?
Certainly.

Apart from what has been said already: If you have as much as half a chance to go for a paperless system: Go for it! I am not talking so much about the actual documents as the handling of them. If your system (be it wiki, sharepoint or whatever) can handle the entire document handling process, you will be rid of more quite unnecessary hazzle than any digitally challenged person could ever imagine. Do what you can to make it so and thereby make all those working hours available for more productive tasks.

Good luck.

/Claes

Top Bottom