QS-9000 to ISO 9001:2000 - Procedures, etc. - What do I do next?

M

michelle8075

Hi Everyone!

Just a question from the North Pole..... oh I mean Michigan........

Anyway, I have been revewing all our current processes, etc and moving from QS to 9K2K. As we get new processes, procedures, forms, work instructions in completed, should I immediatly train and implement them? Or, should I wait until everything is finalized, train, then implemnt? I have never been on the implmentation side, aways on the enforcing policy side.

Thanks a bunch!

(p.s. if anyone is interested, we are thawing out from our weekend blizzard, I think we are supposed to hit 50 today! Yeah! - I have to be cynical because I wouldn't be able to get though the day! ) :lmao:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
michelle8075 said:
Hi Everyone!

Just a question from the North Pole..... oh I mean Michigan........

Anyway, I have been revewing all our current processes, etc and moving from QS to 9K2K. As we get new processes, procedures, forms, work instructions in completed, should I immediatly train and implement them? Or, should I wait until everything is finalized, train, then implemnt? I have never been on the implmentation side, aways on the enforcing policy side.

Thanks a bunch!

(p.s. if anyone is interested, we are thawing out from our weekend blizzard, I think we are supposed to hit 50 today! Yeah! - I have to be cynical because I wouldn't be able to get though the day! ) :lmao:
I hope you don't carry over the attitude of enforcing policy into the implementation. We are all about
  1. prevention, not detection;
  2. guiding, not enforcing
We train animals - we help people learn - so why wait with the learning? There is absolutely nothing wrong with incremental implementation. You may learn that you need to have more than one "training" method to help all employees have optimum learning opportunity.

M

michelle8075

Wes Bucey said:
I hope you don't carry over the attitude of enforcing policy into the implementation. We are all about
We train animals - we help people learn - so why wait with the learning? There is absolutely nothing wrong with incremental implementation. You may learn that you need to have more than one "training" method to help all employees have optimum learning opportunity.

Wes, you are absoultly correct. Enforcing was probably a bad word to use.

But, thanks for the input. Just want to ensure that I am doing everything the best possible way.

D

Don Palmer

We help people

Wes Bucey said:

Wes, Thanks! Until recently, I've spent my entire quality (control) career looking for system failures, non-compliance and non-conformance. Well, that's the way I was trained,and rather necessary for what I used to do. (e.g. inspect aircraft, engines, components for airworthiness.) Certainly, we must be aware/watchful of the negatives, but I am beginning to think, perhaps my focus/balance needs to shift. I'm referring to finding (looking for more) success, compliance and conformance when conducting internal audits of our facilities.

Would you care to expound on this topic. Or direct me to a thread that contains information of this sort.

Government loves training people...military basic training...New Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) FAR Part 145.163 Training requirements, etc. I'm in the business (corporate) jet aviation maintenance sector of business, currently serving as ISO9001:2000 QMS Director. Buy the way I saw a tread here at the Cove the other day that I really took to liking. It had to do with changing 'Quality Management System' to 'Management System for Quality'. This simple rearrangement of words has really got me thinking.

T

The Quality Kid

Process Implementation

Wes Bucey said:
I also agree with Wes. You shouldn't have to enforce policies and procedures in your facility. With that said, depending on you time frame, you have an opportunity to test out these policies and procedures as you create them, and change them if need be. In my experience, getting the end user invovled in implementation is the best policy. Instilling ownership in the system can really aid in making your company stronger. It will also be much easier on yourself if you cut the whole pie into smaller pieces and feed it to the masses, rather than just throwing the whole thing to them all at once. You know the rules, so give your people something to start with and guide them on the right path. You will all be happier in the end. Remember, solid communication is the key to greater success.

Kid :agree:

M

michelle8075

Wes,

Your posts are all very insightful and I truly learn something each time. I spent last night thinking about it, and I see your perspective. I thought at first I just used the word "enforce" to harshly, but when I really sat down and thought about it, it is exactly what I do. :applause:

I have been taught to look for compliances, conformance to the system when auditing. But in my everyday job, its basically running around trying to get people to conform.

The end users have written their procedures, but they don't always feel they have the "time" to do it correctly (a whole other discussion).

But a strange thing happened last audit. I did not run around to make sure everyone was doing what "procedure" asked, and I did not do a bunch of mini audits. I just let it happen, and you know what, 1st time we every received NO noncompliances. I have since, let the employees guide me, rather than push them to be something that they are no going to be. They DO write their procedures, but I feel that previously they were not allowed total full control of it. Part of it was the thought that if "they" failed, then "I" failed, rather than the "system" that failed.

We are transitioning to 9K2K, and it has been very, very interesting for our company to take a step back and look at what they are doing. Rather than be the 'enforcer", I just come to the meetings, and help them understand the standard. I also have been putting together little mini presentations on quality, because I don't beileve that everyone understands what ISO is, they think of it as something scarry.

So, I am absolutly now teaching them and giving them better tools to do their jobs, rather than telling them how they need to do it, and make them write a procedure about it.

I hope I explained this ok....... somethimes when you write something down it doesn't always come across the same way you intended it.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom