Quality Control during the Production Process (Space Constraints for QC Inspectors)

S

Sarpedon

Hello,

Few months ago we entered our new factory. We have new production lines, much larger than the ones in the old factory. And I've faced the following problem which concernes the quality problem during the production:

As I said the lines are large but the space between the machines and the line is very tight. So the quality controllers are having problems when they inspect (size, dimensions, material) the semi-asembled products which are on the line... So my old procedure for quality control during the production has gone to hell.

I will appreciate some help - advice are a procedure wich will be suitable for the case that I have.

Thank you

Serp

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Quality control during the production process

Hello Serp!

I am a bit confused. Do your new lines have less room for the inspectors to work than before? Why are your old procedures obsolete/ not usable simply because your lines are bigger? Is the inspection and such not the same?

S

Sarpedon

Re: Quality control during the production process

Hello Serp!

I am a bit confused. Do your new lines have less room for the inspectors to work than before? Why are your old procedures obsolete/ not usable simply because your lines are bigger? Is the inspection and such not the same?

Hello,

They are absolete because we were performing 100% during the production. And now it is just impossible for the controller to be in touch with the semi-assembled products at 100%.
We can only control at 100% the finished product.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Quality control during the production process (space constraints for QC inspector

I hope that I am not stretching my imagination but it seems you need to move from the QC concept to the process design and control concept.

BradM

Leader
Admin
Re: Quality control during the production process (space constraints for QC inspector

I hope that I am not stretching my imagination but it seems you need to move from the QC concept to the process design and control concept.

I agree. I am not sure how much I can offer, except in the way of changing your approach to inspection. Instead of 100% sampling, maybe you would consider moving to statistical sampling. Also, possibly you could get the people working on the line involved in inspection also.

If you have changed your physical layout and there is physically not room for your previous process, you will have to change your approach.

S

Sarpedon

I agree. I am not sure how much I can offer, except in the way of changing your approach to inspection. Instead of 100% sampling, maybe you would consider moving to statistical sampling. Also, possibly you could get the people working on the line involved in inspection also.

If you have changed your physical layout and there is physically not room for your previous process, you will have to change your approach.

Ok, thank you for the idea I appreciate it.
Can you provide me a sample of statistical sampling procedure for the production process?

qusys

Re: Quality Control during the Production Process (Space Constraints for QC Inspector

Do you have Customers for which you produce your parts?
Is there any PPAP agreed with them?

If in the control plan it has been decided a 100% control , this is a requirement for you.

Probably we should know more about the production and which is the market you serve and agreement with your customers if any.

If you don't have requirement and if the prodcut is the same with the same processes, you could evaluate historical trends in order to establish a different sampling on the line ( reducing percentage) or change the control points on the production line.
Anyway it also seems that there was a problem in defining the proper infrastructure when the new line was concepted and projected?
Was an FMEA process put in place before the design of new line started?
Hope this helps to you

Hello,

Few months ago we entered our new factory. We have new production lines, much larger than the ones in the old factory. And I've faced the following problem which concernes the quality problem during the production:

As I said the lines are large but the space between the machines and the line is very tight. So the quality controllers are having problems when they inspect (size, dimensions, material) the semi-asembled products which are on the line... So my old procedure for quality control during the production has gone to hell.

I will appreciate some help - advice are a procedure wich will be suitable for the case that I have.

Thank you

Serp

S

Sarpedon

Re: Quality Control during the Production Process (Space Constraints for QC Inspector

Do you have Customers for which you produce your parts?
Is there any PPAP agreed with them?

If in the control plan it has been decided a 100% control , this is a requirement for you.

Probably we should know more about the production and which is the market you serve and agreement with your customers if any.

If you don't have requirement and if the prodcut is the same with the same processes, you could evaluate historical trends in order to establish a different sampling on the line ( reducing percentage) or change the control points on the production line.
Anyway it also seems that there was a problem in defining the proper infrastructure when the new line was concepted and projected?
Was an FMEA process put in place before the design of new line started?
Hope this helps to you

Hi,

No we do not produce parts for customers, but if we find a non-conformity at the end of the production line the costs are too high... so we prefer to check before the finished product is ready. And no the FMEA process was not put in place before the new line started :(

qusys

Ok, thanks for info.

Probably you could evaluate historical trends analyzing previous data, in order to understand if there are rooms to establish a different sampling on the line ( reducing percentage and so larger ), otherwise explore the change of the control points on the production line.

Top Bottom