Quality Function Deployment (QFD) - Seeking information on QFD

I've read about that QFD is a very powerful tools to analyse customer voices, measuring producer's capabilities, etc to produce a product that suits the customers (satisfactions) and at the same time increase profitability for the producer.

Anyway, there has been very little emphasis (or I may be wrong ? ) on QFD. People talking about TQM, ISO, TPM, TS, VDA, etc.. (all those technical jargons), but seldom I hear people mentioned about QFD.

I'm quite interested to learn more about this tool. It seems that a lot of brainstroming involves, with some matrix correlations , etc..
Hopefully there are more people out there have the same interests and keep this QFD rolling.....

Maybe for the starts, some of the experts can share some links, or some files on QFD....

Thanks a lot !

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Tutorial on Quality Function Deployment (QFD)

The House of Quality link provided by Claes (5th link down) has a link to a flash tutorial. It is a nice presentation on QFD.

***DEAD LINK REMOVED***

Doug

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
When I was coerced into a Six sigma course a few years back, I noted there was an emphasis on QFD as a source of collecting the voice of the customer (VOC).
In general, QFD is an excellent tool for gathering data to determine the VOC internally and externally. A lot of the publications that are available in the west don't do justice to this tool, I guess a lot of the intentions of this tool are lost in translation as, its origins like many heavy duty data collection tools are from the Japanese cultural aspect of quality that just simply doesn't key with the western business philosophy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marc said:
I'd love to see something like the attached in English...
So would I. As a matter of fact, I would happily settle for German. This presentation is however, unless I'm very much mistaken, written by a Belgian.

Still, I have to say that someone put a lot of effort into this one. Well done whoever it was...
:applause:
/Claes

Govind

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Marc said:
Anyone with thoughts on QFD?
We all talk a lot about QFD in Six sigma implementation and Product developments.
some of the common complaints against QFD are:
a. lack of time to conduct several meetings and update the houses of Quality on an ongoing basis.
b. lack of sufficient data to update competitive performance on What's and How's.
c. Getting stuck by trying to optimize 2 How s which are in opposite direction.

We read successful implementation in few articles and conferences.
Is there any one in Elsmar membership who has been successful in developing a product fully, utilizing the QFD methodology?

Did you counter these obstacles?

Any lessons learned that can be shared?

Govind.

B

Bill Pflanz

Govind said:
We all talk a lot about QFD in Six sigma implementation and Product developments.
some of the common complaints against QFD are:
a. lack of time to conduct several meetings and update the houses of Quality on an ongoing basis.
b. lack of sufficient data to update competitive performance on What's and How's.
c. Getting stuck by trying to optimize 2 How s which are in opposite direction.

We read successful implementation in few articles and conferences.
Is there any one in Elsmar membership who has been successful in developing a product fully, utilizing the QFD methodology?

Did you counter these obstacles?

Any lessons learned that can be shared?

Govind.
It does not appear that anyone ever took up Govind's challenge for a real example of QFD that was used in the workplace and not as just some theoretical exercise. Has any every used QFD and what experiences did you have?

Bill Pflanz

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q FMEA & QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Interlinked? FMEA and Control Plans 3
B QFD (Quality Function Deployment) - World Class / Competitor Benchmarking Benchmarking 3
N FORD Quick QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Document information wanted Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
T QFD (Quality Function Deployment) in Six Sigma Six Sigma 10
T QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Software recommendations Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
S Does Quality Engineering have a role in QFD (Quality Function Deployment)? APQP and PPAP 1
C Simplified version of QFD (Quality Function Deployment) - Ford Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
Q QFD (Quality Function Deployment) Information Resources -- Are these any good? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
K How do QFD (Quality Function Deployment) & KANO MODEL fit in a quality system? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 10
Marc QFD Quality Function Deployment - Tool to map out product characteristics Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
L How to Introduce the Quality Function to the production floor in a bad environment Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 6
N Role of Quality Function in Approving Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C What can you do if Quality is treated as a separate function in an organization? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
M Quality System Procedure for HR Function needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N ISO 9001 and the HR Function - Developing a Total Quality Management System for HR ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
J Redefining the Quality Assurance Function - Insurance sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
T Warranty - Is it a Quality Function? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
sridharafep How do you Prepare your Business Plan for year 2008 - Focusing on QUALITY Function World News 3
N Quality Engineer Job Description - What should be the function of a Quality Engineer? Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Wes Bucey Is proofreading a Quality function? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
B Should manufacturing efficiency be a quality function? Yes or No? Manufacturing and Related Processes 72
N Defining and Setting Quality Objectives for Each Organization Function and Level ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
C Does QA (Quality Assurance) Function Need Autonomy? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
Kevin Mader Integration of Quality Function & Statistical Theory Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 20
S How do I deal with a company where there is no centralized quality function? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 13
Geoff Cotton Taguchi quality loss function - How do I establish the 'Consumer Loss' element? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
P Can Laboratory personnel report to a function other than Quality? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S How to add a priority-cost/benefit function to our quality systems? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 4
R Electrical contractor Project Quality Management Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
D Supplier Quality - How to classify a supplier level Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
R China Quality Certification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
S Quality management system (Well head installation & maintenance) Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
F Supplier Quality Assurance Job Openings - 8/2020 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C Quality, efficiency and effectiveness of daily work routines Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
P How to develop executable quality management system for rookies? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
Q Quality Technician (calibration / metrology) - Memphis, TN Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 1
M Requirement to manufacture under a quality management system EU Medical Device Regulations 4
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ajit Basrur FDA News Harmonizing and Modernizing Regulation of Medical Device Quality Systems (7-2020) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Interview with Director of Quality Career and Occupation Discussions 18
A IATF 16949 4.3.1 - Determining the scope of the quality management system - supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Quality manual for automotive industry wanted Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
M Quality management certification required by Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
A Building up a global quality management system ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Building up a global quality management system 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3