Quality Management

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Firstly, without any accountability for the Cove, I feel I can apologize on behalf of the majority of Cove members for the lack of a constructive response to your query.
The OP got several constructive responses. If you read them you might see there was some commonality with your response -- the non condescending parts of your response, that is.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
@Thestovers1, Welcome to the Cove and congratulations on your promotion and new role! In addition to other suggestions you received, I would like to further add:

1. Do a skill gap assessment considering the soft and hard skills required to do a quality manager's job effectively. Develop a training/learning plan to acquire those skills. Dedicate a certain time to acquire the skills and certifications to enhance your portfolio. You can also refer to CQI IRCA's professional map for reference.

2. Focus on understanding the difference between leadership and management. You'll need to practice both depending on the situation, culture and personnel you are dealing with. Always prioritize empathy. No one is perfect, people are bound to make mistakes. And your success in any part of life will highly depend on your ability to deal with people. Focus on developing "people" skills.

3. Study and practice resilience strategies and burnout prevention. The demanding nature of this role or any further roles requires a resilient mindset to navigate challenges effectively. Be patient with the results you are getting, it takes time to build things. Keep doing your best while preventing burnout and maintaining your mental health.

4. Read (both technical and personal development books. The Purpose of technical books is to gain domain knowledge and personal help books help to develop a mindset & build resilience). Refer resources and book recommendations section of Elsmar. I suggest you start with the "12 Days to Deming" course (it's free) and keep Juran's Quality Handbook as a handy guide. Explore books and articles by Dr. Juran, Dr. Deming, and other quality professionals as you progress.

5. Study the ISO9001 standard from a viewpoint of implementation, not just auditing. While your certification in auditing is valuable, understanding implementation requires a different set of skills. Consider taking a Lead Implementer course, if feasible and I highly recommend David Hoyle's ISO9000 quality systems handbook for a comprehensive understanding of Quality Management Systems (QMS).

6. Connect with professionals who share similar interests, and are in similar positions. Frequently attend conferences, webinars, and other meets. Elsmar is a great platform, feel free to post questions and to contribute wherever you can.

You can also refer to the following threads on similar topics:

QMS and ISO 9001
ISO 9000 Where to Start
ISO 9001 Help - New Quality Manager - Upper Management Support Issues
Tips/advice for a new Quality Manager

All the best and looking forward to your presence here and further interactions.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
One consideration is that QA is split into two basic fronts: Quality Management Systems and Quality Engineering. While general ‘what to do’ for Quality Engineering is covered by a QMS the essential difference is between administrative and technical (NO offense to any one those are simply words I chose to describe the difference). BOTH involve leadership, innovation, insight and DEEP and BROAD knowledge to be successful in helping your organization to advance. Research, experience, curiosity and tenacity are required.

Rich Shippy

Involved In Discussions
One thing that helped drive things home with management I used, was to review the "purpose" of the specific standard they were registered to (ISO, IATF etc.) and remind them what they signed-up for.

Abena

Registered
One thing that helped drive things home with management I used, was to review the "purpose" of the specific standard they were registered to (ISO, IATF etc.) and remind them what they signed-up for.
in fact i love this, maybe i should tell them in the next management meeting. . ;-)

Top Bottom