Quality Professionals as Executives

B

Bruce Wade

Was participating in the meeting of our Board of Elders at church the other night. I noted of six Elders on the board, five are quality assurance managers. The other is in information technology. I immediately came to the conclusion from this significant statistical sample <grin> that this followed naturally as we QAMs are the ethical and moral compasses of the companies for which we work...

Also, John Finn, please tell all those in Bahstan to stop whining about the Red Soxers lack of success. As a lifelong fan of the starcrossed Chicago Cubs, I seem to recall it was those same Pinko Sox who thwarted the valiant efforts of our lads in 1918...

<BG>

J

John Finn

Bruce,

You are absolutely right on both counts. As far as the Cubs are concerned, Ernie Banks is one of my all-time favorites. My son met him up at Cooperstown at a recent Hall of Fame induction ceremony and said that he seemed like a terrific person.

The pitcher Ron Darling, who is a New Englander, suggested that it might not be good for the Red Sox to ever win a Series, because it might destroy our whole reason for existence, or something to that effect.

T

tarheel

A lifelong fan of the Cubs

First Sox, now Cubs fans. You definitely have the stuff to be quality guys. ::frust: Who else would have that much patience and be able to ignore the obvious outcome every year. Being a Braves fan, I don't have that problem, (at least until the playoffs, then its another story).

J

John Finn

tarheel,

You know that Tom Glavine grew up in a town just North of Boston. There's been a lot of speculation here that he might like to finish his career with the Red Sox. By the way, he is considered one of the best high school hockey players in the state's history!

T

tarheel

I know John, but we can't all be good southern boys. At long as Tom keeps producing, we will let him stay. Question, did you move up through the quality ranks, or did you do a lateral from another department? My guess is you have served in disciplines other than quality.

J

John Finn

Hi tarheel. Actually, my college experience was in a cooperative education program - go to classes for a semester, work in related field for a semester. I got to work in many different departments during those years. My final "co-op" job was with GE in Schenectady and when I finished they offered me a position as a Field Service Engineer for Gas Turbines. I spent a year and a half on a training program that included stints in test, engineering, customer service, couple of field assignments, etc. Near the end of the program, because I was getting married and didn't want to do all the traveling, I asked if they could find me a position closer to home. There was an opening for a Quality Engineer in Lynn, MA andI took it. I have been in nothing but the quality field since then. This might make an interesting thread; hw didpeople end up i this field? Thank you for your interest.

Top Bottom