Stepping Over To The Dark Side

PaulJSmith

(Former) Quality Jerk
It’s refreshing to see someone like you will directly be responsible for production quality.
Thanks, John. It was kind of the point of me going in that direction instead of looking for yet another QM position. I don't want the Quality people to be the only ones fighting for what's right.
Too bad manufacturing quality can't go down the same pathway I had to follow in aviation maintenance quality (rotary and some fixed wing), you sign the aircraft off then you're on the test flights, up front in the left or right seat (a couple times in the front or back seat). Quality takes on a different perspective when you have to strap the product to your fanny for the "validation" checks.
I made mighty efforts when I worked in aerospace to get myself into a test flight of an F/A-18. No dice, unfortunately. Pretty sure my boss got sick of me asking.
It's only going to the dark side if you do what a former boss did. Very early in my career, my quality manager took a transfer to another nearby facility changing roles from quality manager to production manager. So far, so good. Unfortunately, he then used all of his knowledge about quality to circumvent the controls in place in order to ship as much product as possible regardless of the quality.

That is truly going to the dark side.
That is almost the exact same scenario that got me into Quality in the first place. The QM was moved to Plant Manager position, yet retained the QM title as well. When it was announced at an all-hands meeting, I dared to ask the question everyone was thinking, "Does that mean our quality standards will be changing?" He looked like he wanted to strangle me at that moment. Instead, he came to me about two weeks later and asked if I wanted to join the quality team. But, over the next four years there, I fought against him for the same stuff, trying to work around the system he knew so well. Knowing what that does to everyone's morale, there's no chance that will happen with me. Not my goal.

I do truly appreciate the support from this group. You guys/gals are the best.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I love this. In the (implantable) med dev company I work for, the phrase is always "Would you want this your body / [X family member]'s body?" My mom actually has our product implanted, as do several employees.
One of the most ignored requirements in ISO 9001, from both an implementation and verification sides is the one that requires the organization to ensure the people working for them are aware of the implications of not conforming to requirements.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
Paul, best wishes in your new role! The best QMS implementations do not have a quality function. So unless you'll become your old prez, having a Quality man in charge of production is quite the Jedi move. Trust the force, Luke, I mean Paul!

Randy

Super Moderator
One of the most ignored requirements in ISO 9001, from both an implementation and verification sides is the one that requires the organization to ensure the people working for them are aware of the implications of not conforming to requirements.
That's one of the reasons that our (Lockheed) maintenance techs had to have inflight rotary-wing crew experience (another was safety)

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
This part resonated with me:
And, I finally understand why so many moved in that direction, when I started to think I would be better off driving quality from the production side, rather than constantly fighting against production managers who care little about quality. As I said, now I get it.
I was recruited into the "quality" side of the business supposedly because I was "one of the few folks in manufacturing that got it." I resisted for quite a while, but finally (I felt) I was up against a production manager who was... I'm not sure there is an adjective, maybe... panglossian? He was sort of divorced from reality, and as long as he was in charge (and kept in charge) and never had any issues brought to his attention, he was satisfied. It's no way to run a factory, and it certainly is no way to inspire career advancement.

I've been in my quality role(s) for quite some time, and I've tried to be a good partner the factory... I want to believe that it's been a good relationship. Less so with the design teams. Luckily (or not) for me I am in a position where my Quality Management is obsessed with compliance (over quality) so the quality-minded teams can still "do a lot with very little." We are all resigned to the fact that the company gives out rewards for the "fire fighters" but not for those teams whose processes/products never HACF. The company has a LOT of room for growth (via quality, think Deming 0.1), but no real room for compromising on quality for profit... make of that what you will.

I've considered transitioning back to the production side, but at my current place I know I am doing more good on the quality side than I could ever do on the manufacturing side. Design side is a total loss, as I've seen some very smart, very experienced engineers go there and be crushed.

PaulJSmith

(Former) Quality Jerk
Paul, best wishes in your new role! The best QMS implementations do not have a quality function.
Thanks, Pancho.

The people at new place did a lot during the interview process to sell me on wanting to be a part of their team. One big thing was to let me know that while they do have a few Quality Techs and two QEs, they do not have a Quality Manager position. The Quality staff works for the Operations Manager, since they exist to help Operations. That sounded an awful lot like people who "get it." My experience in Quality was a big plus to them as well.

I've been telling people for years that Quality as a stand-alone department should not exist. If everyone did what they were supposed to do, there would be no need for people like me. And, if they don't want me "interfering" with how they do their jobs, all they have to do is make my position unnecessary. Unfortunately, that never happened.

Top Bottom