Repair and Service Facility - Customer wants PPAP for Refurbished Equipment

I

inman

One of our customers is asking us to complete a PPAP for some equipment that we repair for them. We basically recondition the equipment from the ground up. We do not manufacture any new parts, we only repair the old parts to bring them back within tolerances or obtain new replacement parts from the customer which is the OEM as well.
I am have a lot of trouble with how I should approach completing a PPAP. When we receive a machine, we have no idea of which parts are out of tolerance and have to completely disassemble and inspect every component. After the inspection, there can be several repair processes used to bring everything back within tolerance (electrical and mechanical). To put things in perspective, our business is similar to an auto repair shop in such that the customer sends a truck in because it is broken down for unknown reasons. We perform an inspection and determine what needs repair and what doesn't. We then quote the repair and obtain repair approval from the customer.
I guess since I am new to PPAP, and work in the service industry, I just can't seem to grasp how to relate PPAP to a repair process as compared to new part manufacturing process.
Any guidance you all have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Help Needed, Repair and Service facility PPAP

One of our customers is asking us to complete a PPAP for some equipment that we repair for them. We basically recondition the equipment from the ground up. We do not manufacture any new parts, we only repair the old parts to bring them back within tolerances or obtain new replacement parts from the customer which is the OEM as well.
I am have a lot of trouble with how I should approach completing a PPAP. When we receive a machine, we have no idea of which parts are out of tolerance and have to completely disassemble and inspect every component. After the inspection, there can be several repair processes used to bring everything back within tolerance (electrical and mechanical). To put things in perspective, our business is similar to an auto repair shop in such that the customer sends a truck in because it is broken down for unknown reasons. We perform an inspection and determine what needs repair and what doesn't. We then quote the repair and obtain repair approval from the customer.
I guess since I am new to PPAP, and work in the service industry, I just can't seem to grasp how to relate PPAP to a repair process as compared to new part manufacturing process.
Any guidance you all have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

If PPAP wasn't a part of your original agreement with this customer, you should question the requirement. Everything is negotiable when new requirements are imposed. You should get a firm set of requirements as to what they expect to see in a PPAP submission and work from there.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

Personally I've never heard of PPAP on refurbishment of equipment. Has anyone else here?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Personally I've never heard of PPAP on refurbishment of equipment. Has anyone else here?

I haven't, but the term PPAP is being thrown around very loosely these days, used to describe all kinds of first-article approval things that have nothing to do with automotive work or AIAG-type PPAPs.

Top Bottom