Retention Period of Dead Time Sheets

Anerol C

Trusted Information Resource
Hi to all;
I have been asked about the period of retention for the Dead time sheets; production personnel is recording any type of dead time, this information is collected and charted? Then analized during production meeting.
Any input on period of retention? :thanks:

Thanks
Anerol C

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
This can be whatever time you specify. It can be as short as: "Retain until reviewed in production meeting".

For ISO, you should only retain records as long as they serve a useful purpose. This purpose may be to protect you in the event of litigation (such as design verification records), or to provide objective evidence that your QMS meets the requirements of the standard (such as internal audit records), or to comply with a customer requirement (such as inspection records). If the record no longer serves such a purpose, why retain it?

Recording of dead time would be an internal requirement, not an ISO requirement, so once it has served it purpose discard it.

Anerol C

Then, I would say one month of retention, just to wait until the information is analyzed and reviewed; Any way I will check with the manager of that area just to make sure that he is agree.
Thank you!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
From a business point of view, it might be worthwhile to keep a log or running record for comparison of current with past periods to determine if there can be or has been improvement in reducing dead time due to changes in processes or procedure (conversely, whether there is a worsening.)

I see tracking this set of data as integral to creating a more efficient work process/environment and subsequently reducing dead time as removing one of the prime "wastes" which detract from increased profitability of the organization.

Anerol C

Does any body have a procedure/WI/Flow chart on how to handle dead time? I don't think it is necessary, but I'm being requested to provide this.
Thanks

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Anerol, what do you mean "handle dead time"? Are you talking about what the maintenance people are supposed to be doing to get the machinery back up? What production should do with their time when equipment is not running? I'm probably just overthinking your question, but I'm not sure that you don't need to question whomever has asked for this to define their requirements a little further. Does this add value for your company?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
As I see the situation, "handling" dead time is like handling any process which, upon examination and evaluation, seems to offer an opportunity for increased efficiency and, therefore, increased profitability for the parties concerned.

Dead time can arise from a number of causes, so it is necessary to list the applicable causes and examine each for opportunities to increase efficiency.

Some examples of dead time might include the dead time resulting from
  1. no work available
  2. machine or process changeover from one product to another (big factor in job shops)
  3. unscheduled repair or maintenance
  4. stoppage in flow of materials (supply chain)
  5. absenteeism of operators for critical step in process
  6. strikes or other organized work stoppage
  7. sabotage (subtle - LOTS of reasons for sabotage, ranging from simple mischief to criminal intent (paid by competitors, desire to manipulate stock price, etc.)
A good manager pays attention to dead time, charts it like any other systemic-caused nonconformity, and seeks corrective/preventive solutions.

It might be a good topic for a new thread to discuss each possible "cause and cure" - certainly, many Lean advocates always put dead time in their crosshairs.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
That makes sense, Wes. I was just brain-locked there thinking that if our folks needed to be told what to do when there was a breakdown, we'd be in trouble. "Fix it!" would be the policy, procedure and work instruction. Funny how a mind fixates on a path sometimes, isn't it?;)

Anerol C

Thanks Wes for your Input.

That's what we want to do, analize what is causing dead time and what actions need to be taken to reduce/eliminate it. Currently we are using a form that needs to be signed by the owner of the process causing the dead time but there is a kind of resistance to sign it off; so that is why I'm asking if you have a flow chart/work instruction to handle dead time.

Thansky

Top Bottom