Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Over age 65

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Never

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters

phxsun2001

Involved - Posts
I planned my retirement years ago. I am semi retired right now working about 60% this year. I left a good paying full time job with a major aerospace company last year. I bought rental properties years ago when they were about $60,000 for small 4 bedrooms. Now I am selling them at the rate of one every 2 years to avoid paying tax, after they have gone up quite a bit. I still have 9 left to sell. The more I sell, the less I work. I won't retire completelym because I really like ISO auditing and consulting and the travel that comes with it.

G

Gert Sorensen

I don't think that I will ever be able to afford retirement :mg:
The way things are going I will just have to work till I drop, but given the financial opportunity I would stop working today.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
Going with the title of the thread, I expected to see a poll button as "Never Retire" ;)

Since it wasnt there, I voted for > 65 years. In reality, I would never like to retire. After the employment retirement is due, I would like to pursue other areas and keep myself busy. Probably some charity / consultancy to keep the brain running :mg:

Also, would like to continue as "Elsmar Cove Moderator" :lol:

B

Bill Pflanz

Going with the title of the thread, I expected to see a poll button as "Never Retire" ;)

Since it wasnt there, I voted for > 65 years. In reality, I would never like to retire. After the employment retirement is due, I would like to pursue other areas and keep myself busy. Probably some charity / consultancy to keep the brain running :mg:

Also, would like to continue as "Elsmar Cove Moderator" :lol:

I thought about adding a poll button for "Never Retire" but death is not considered as a viable option for retirement. In my comments, I also allowed room for "working" after retirement from your full time job in a part time role. Part time jobs keep you involved without a daily commitment. As far as being a Cove moderator, being active on blogs and other interactive internet sites has been identified as a typical way of staying involved after retirement.

The results are generally consistent with what I have been reading. Financial concerns are the primary reason for not considering early retirement. Many of the ideas for retirement are also consistent with the desire to teach, do charity work, spend time with family (especially grandchildren). Even these desires require some retirement planning. The best time to make contacts for teaching, charities, hobbies etc. is before retiring since not all are as available as you may think. Charities can require lots of time and do involve some expense which can make it difficult to do part time. Children move and visiting the grandchildren may not be as easy as driving across town. Many people who traveled a lot while working have no interest in more travel unless it is purely vacational.

Thanks for participating.

Bill Pflanz

D

db

I could never retire.......

If not doing this, then I would have to do something else. There is always something else......

My later years might not be "productive", although my boss thinks those days are here :) , but I aways got to be doing something.

R

Randy Stewart

My plans went down the tube last year. I have to replace the savings I used to survive these past 10+ months.
I did learn how much fun a Kindergarten Daddy/Daughter dance could be:D. Renee already has this years circled on the calendar. I never would have had time before and by the time I retired she would have been well past the Daddy-Daughter dance age.

D

db

My plans went down the tube last year. I have to replace the savings I used to survive these past 10+ months.
I did learn how much fun a Kindergarten Daddy/Daughter dance could be:D. Renee already has this years circled on the calendar. I never would have had time before and by the time I retired she would have been well past the Daddy-Daughter dance age.

Cherish those moments, Stew. It seems like only yesterday I was lying on the couch with my darling daughter on my chest. She barely reached from my chin to my belt. Now, she is out of college. She decided spending Thanksgiving with her boyfriend was more important than spending Thanksgiving with me (I'm okay with that -- it was for her to meet his family). The point is they grow up and out waaaayyyyyyy too quickly!

But she still calls herself my Supersweetheartsugarhoney. A name I gave her when she was an infant.

God Bless you and your lovely daughter.....May you always enjoy that special Father-Daughter relationship :agree1:

D

D.Scott

I planned my retirement years ago. I am semi retired right now working about 60% this year. I left a good paying full time job with a major aerospace company last year. I bought rental properties years ago when they were about $60,000 for small 4 bedrooms. Now I am selling them at the rate of one every 2 years to avoid paying tax, after they have gone up quite a bit. I still have 9 left to sell. The more I sell, the less I work. I won't retire completelym because I really like ISO auditing and consulting and the travel that comes with it.

Hmmm, any of these happen to be in the south near a nice beach?

Dave

O

Old Quality Gal

Well I am aiming for 60.
We are planning and getting our ducks in a row.
1.) Bought a small working boatyard where we now live and have the former owner managing most of the day to day boat stuff. (Except the "Oh crap its sinking" exciting stuff at 3:00 am in a 60 mile an hour wind.)
2.) While we were living in Florida we each got our 6 pack licenses as Captains.
3.) I have begun my serious as a heart attack fishing log. Date, GPS location, time,Tide, weather, moon phase, bait, rigging and fish caught for every time we move the boat.
Quality has been very good to me and I function more as a consultant to our clients in my current capacity running the implementation and consulting services group. Consultants are the difference between kids and grandkids. I give them the benefit of every drop of knowledge and wisdom I might have, I root for them and do everything I can to support them, give them confidence and make them successful but at the end of the day I hand them back to their parents ( the company they work for). I love what I do but I am tired of being a road warrior and spending way too much time in airports and hotels.
And as I get older I realize it really and truly is 5 o'clock somewhere!
Regards,
Mary

Top Bottom