Sampling plan Work instruction

inspector625

Involved In Discussions
Hello Elsmar Group,

We are currently updating our QMS and I have been tasked with creating a work instruction for Sampling (IAW ANSI/ASQ Z1.4). I am wondering if anyone has an example they could share with me. I am struggling to put it down on paper and would really appreciate being able to see how others are documenting their sampling requirements.

Kronos147

Trusted Information Resource
What I have seen some organizations do is make an internal form that looks like Table 2A of ANSI Z 14, then specify the AQL level (example, C = 0 1.5) in the BOR/Manufacturing plan. If you already have a work instruction for final inspection, just reference the form and usage in that work instruction.

Cheers,
Kronos

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Z1.4 is a difficult standard for many users; IMO few actually use it exactly as written. Do you intend to follow the switching rules? That complicates things a lot.

I agree with Kronos, make your own table if you can. Give a few examples. Make sure you discuss taking the samples (random sampling is important).

Since you seem to be in aerospace, have you considered using ASQ H1331 Zero Acceptance Number Sampling Plans by N.L. Squeglia?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
3.3.3. Define Sampling Plan gives a good overview of a sampling plan generation. I would say from my experience you also need to include the "get out of jail free" card for - what happens if the sampling plan leads to a rejection - how will you recover. I found a lot of managers wanting to say - we'll just fix the rejected items, rather than treating the sampling plan for what it is - a critique of the overall population. Usually easier to get buy in on what to do if the sample fails - before it fails.

Top Bottom