Seeking Advice on Starting a Consulting Service

DannyK

Trusted Information Resource
Other ideas are:

1. Prepare a database of target companies that would require ISO 14001 and cross reference the list with an ISO 14001 registered company database. In North America, QSU online and worldpreferred.com are good resources.

2. Find out if there are any registrars with local offices. It may be useful to network with auditors since they may sometimes hear about companies that require your services. Also it may help your credibility with clients if you can be qualified as a lead assessor.

3. Find out who your competition is in your area. Check out their brochures and web sites. Create a marketing strategy which will allow your potential clients to select you over your competitors. Are you competing on price, quality or delivery?

4. Get testimonials and include them in your web site. Ask your previous employer to provide you with a reference. Maybe you can do some periodic work for them as well such as internal auditing.

Good Luck

Danny

G

Greg B

Brian,

:topic: You have an excellent web site (sanguma.com) I noticed that you have an article under 'Process Imporvement' relating to monkeys called the 'Management Process'. I was sent a similar article years ago on an email and decided to make it into a slide show for quality. I use it to explain a company's culture.

The History of Quality (from Artisans to TQM)

Greg B

L

Luke Hannant

I thank all of you, for your excellent feedback. I now feel I can progress along a much more "targeted" approach.

I have decided to take up temporary employment (M - W), to take the heat off of my finances, but still give myself time to actively work towards a self employed consultant (Th - Sa). This way I can ensure a more professional approach (Good Stationary, Targeted Audience, Etc.) rather than phoning every "suitable" company in the yellow pages, praying for a lead, just so I know where my next meals are coming from!

C

Cathy

Luke, Good luck with your adventure!! :applause: I think you are doing things the sensible way. I too am planning to go it alone in the near future (end of May) but with 'bread and butter' quality systems first of all. I don't have enough environmental background yet to break that market over here....but in my serech for leads if I get any requests for environmental I'll throw them your way! (You are not that far away from Northern Ireland)

Cathy

P

PGTIPS8

Just a quick question, I was thinking of starting consultation work. As a start do you need to be registered as such, whats the correct protocol here? Know there is an ISO on this but what's what chaps?
Just want a basic outline really. May be just offering advice, reviewing documents, reviewing systems pre certification etc. Never done freelance stuff before so need some basics I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

qualitymanager

When I saw that ("there is an ISO on this") the ISO 10019 (Selection of management systems consultants) came to mind.

I am unaware of any standard which describes how to do QMS consulting.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

alspread

Luke,
Why limit your ISO14001 to 'companies'?
I don't know how it works in the UK, but I have heard of at least one guy trying to get the local municipality (city or town) certified to ISO14001. They manage waste systems, use resources, etc.

If you could show a savings or return on the investment for a town to become ISO14001 certified, imagine the notoriety you could get with the local papers if successful.

Good Luck.

P

PGTIPS8

Sorry, chaps I was using the ISO 10019, as a basis for what I would need if I were going to be selected if you see my drift. Just wondering what folks recommend, other than say IRCA rergistration. Or do you chaps just do it on your experience. Ss I would have thought any company, bisness etc would want some form of credentials from the consultant???

Top Bottom