Should a Quality Manager know daily production numbers?

C

Cordon - 2007

In an effort to improve quality, increase product flow and reduce the need for excess personnel I have been re-designing tooling and fixtures with a lot of help from our machinist. With most of these improvements we have seen at least double our normal production and in some cases we have eliminated the need for later operations all together and have improved quality all at the same time.

About a month ago one of the owners asked me to put some numbers together for increased production regarding old vs. new processes. I figured this question should be directed to the Production Manager or the floor Supervisor as they should know the numbers better than me.

So here’s my question, as a Quality Manager should I know how many parts are being produced per day/per part/per machine and so on?

Thank you for your thoughts!

C

Craig H.

Cordon said:
In an effort to improve quality, increase product flow and reduce the need for excess personnel I have been re-designing tooling and fixtures with a lot of help from our machinist. With most of these improvements we have seen at least double our normal production and in some cases we have eliminated the need for later operations all together and have improved quality all at the same time.

About a month ago one of the owners asked me to put some numbers together for increased production regarding old vs. new processes. I figured this question should be directed to the Production Manager or the floor Supervisor as they should know the numbers better than me.

So here’s my question, as a Quality Manager should I know how many parts are being produced per day/per part/per machine and so on?

In order to show that you have indeed made improvements, I would say absoultely. Not only the raw numbers themselves, but also expressed as % defective.

If you can show this trend, do your best to express it in DOLLAR$, the universal language of upper management everywhere. If you can get the numbers, you control how they are expressed. Not that you should "play games" with them, but you want the calculations to be done right, and you also need to be able to explain them.

Cordon, the iron is hot. Strike it!!!!!

R

ralphsulser

Yes, I agree-get the numbers and convert to $$, it will be a positive experience.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Cordon said:

You should do your best to know whatever your boss expects you to know. It might be that you were closest person to him when he decided to ask for the information, or it could be that he has reason to believe that information you supply will be more reliable than it might be from other sources.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW-yes, you should have a feel for daily production, at least the ability to go and get it if you don't "know" it day to day.

Just because you were asked to put this information into a usable format, doesn't mean that you cannot delegate....obviously, somebody there has to have access to the numbers you need. Ask them to forward a copy of the the daily production report (or the portions you need), and then present the numbers however you need to for the analysis you need to perform.

B

bgwiehle

It's not only the totals that are important but the details. Tracing the progress of changes already made may not be possible if the detail isn't in the data.

If the machine and shift information was not gathered at the time or there is no record of exactly when a change was implemented, it won't matter who should know production numbers or who can generate reports for you.

Hopefully, all relevant information is available or, at least, enough to get "big picture" of the progress made.

Good luck!

B.G. Wiehle

C

Cordon - 2007

Craig H. said:
In order to show that you have indeed made improvements, I would say absoultely. Not only the raw numbers themselves, but also expressed as % defective.

If you can show this trend, do your best to express it in DOLLAR$, the universal language of upper management everywhere. If you can get the numbers, you control how they are expressed. Not that you should "play games" with them, but you want the calculations to be done right, and you also need to be able to explain them.

Cordon, the iron is hot. Strike it!!!!!

Well I guess I should have stated that I did give him some ruff numbers, my best guesstiment that is :bonk: . My only thought on this was that the P.M. has these numbers at his finger tips, or should have.

As far as dollar figures, I probably would have made myself look bad for the simple fact that I have no access to anything along that line. I suppose I could have guessed, but I don't think that would have been wise :eek: .

% defective, we used to have a guy doing repairs full time, now it's only occationally for visual flaws, 2/3 hours a day. Although I have to confess that our defect rate has always been low.

Thanks to all for your imput! :thanks:

R

Rob Nix

Does this situation make Cordon blue? :rolleyes:

Every Quality Manager should have access to the numbers. If not the profits, at least the sales dollars the production represents. Most of the time measures like rework, scrap, and defects are best reported as percentages or ratios. Parts produced, shipped or the sales dollars based on them would be the denominator. Otherwise, straight totals would be misleading (e.g. rework is trending upward, yet unknown on the report is that production has trended upward also).

As was also mentioned, you can delegate some of the data collection responsibilities, although, in some smaller shops, the QAM often does a little of everything.

W

walking eagle - 2010

Cordon said:
Well I guess I should have stated that I did give him some ruff numbers, my best guesstiment that is :bonk: . My only thought on this was that the P.M. has these numbers at his finger tips, or should have.

As far as dollar figures, I probably would have made myself look bad for the simple fact that I have no access to anything along that line. I suppose I could have guessed, but I don't think that would have been wise :eek: .

% defective, we used to have a guy doing repairs full time, now it's only occationally for visual flaws, 2/3 hours a day. Although I have to confess that our defect rate has always been low.

Thanks to all for your imput! :thanks:
In light of good working relationships I would include the PM in data collection, conversion to dollars, and presentation. Share the sunshine. There are some team dynamics that can be built or destroyed here. IMHO

Top Bottom