Simplistic ISO 9001 Awareness for everyone

I

in0v8iv

HI, I have been a long time member of the Cove, but this is my first post so please bear with me.

I am the Q A Manager, Management Representative, Internal Audit Coordinator, ISO Implementation Manager, and First Responder. I am sure this sounds familiar to most.

We are scheduled to have our Registration Audit (ISO 9001:2008) in a couple of months and I want to put together a short and sweet presentation for the benefit of every employee. There is a lot of info I think everyone needs to know, but the majority of the content will put them to sleep quicker than an elephant tranquilizer! :tg:

Looking for the presentation to cover items such as Quality Policy, Objectives, Documentation, How to answer the Auditor, etc... I was wondering if anyone has put something like this together with just key elements to put folks at ease. We have about 150 employees.

I am sure there are a lot of great ideas out there and if you are willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Greg

Last edited by a moderator:

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hello Greg! Glad you finally posted here! :agree1:

Here are some thoughts that come to mind.

1. Make the presentation good. Determine how much time you have, and develop your slides accordingly. Keep in mind the fundamentals: good color contrasts, 3-5 bullet points a slide, then "talk" to the bullet points (don't read).

2. Obviously by your titles:tg: you are pretty passionate about what you do. Many of the people don't know... and.... well... aren't going to have the passion for the specifics like you. However, they would be interested in how your passion will benefit them. Keep your audience in mind: What do they want to hear? How does it relate to them? What will they get out of it?

3. Now... you will probably need to have one-two slides on the fundamentals (how to handle auditor's questions) and such. But... if you wish, you can make that fun also. NOTE: I'm not saying make the subject a joke. I'm suggesting presenting information in a way people will remember. That's all.

If you can determine what their needs are; what their questions are, that might provide a much more useful presentation to everyone involved.

:topic:

I have seen some pretty intriguing presentations:popcorn: on subjects I cared little about; and was in agony:sleep: watching some presentations on subjects I loved. It's all in the presentation.

I

in0v8iv

Hi Brad! Thank you for your response!

I understand that the presenter is what makes the presentation, you did a great job at describing that. One detail that wasn't included in my original post is that I will have around 10 meetings that can last no longer than 15 minutes!

Therein lies my true problem. Coming up with a concise and succinct presentation, fit for EVERY employee, that is useful and effective that highlights the importance of ISO and how to act, what to say during the registration audit.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
HI, I have been a long time member of the Cove, but this is my first post so please bear with me.

I am the Q A Manager, Management Representative, Internal Audit Coordinator, ISO Implementation Manager, and First Responder. I am sure this sounds familiar to most.

We are scheduled to have our Registration Audit (ISO 9001:2008) in a couple of months and I want to put together a short and sweet presentation for the benefit of every employee. There is a lot of info I think everyone needs to know, but the majority of the content will put them to sleep quicker than an elephant tranquilizer! :tg:

Looking for the presentation to cover items such as Quality Policy, Objectives, Documentation, How to answer the Auditor, etc... I was wondering if anyone has put something like this together with just key elements to put folks at ease. We have about 150 employees.

I am sure there are a lot of great ideas out there and if you are willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Greg

Welcome. First, you should be aware that "simplistic" is probably not what you're looking for. Something that's simplistic is oversimplified and ignores things that shouldn't be ignored.

That out of the way, there are a lot of things you may think everyone needs to know, but for they probably actually need to know only some very basic things:

• What ISO 9001 is;
  • What registration (or certification) means, and how it's determined that the company is worthy of it;
  • Why document control is important and why it's important to operate processes in accordance with documented (or other) requirements
That's about it. If you can talk to a general audience about ISO 9001 for more than an hour, you're undoubtedly talking too much.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
If you take into account that the average attention span of a working adult is only about 15-20 minutes, you should break you presentation into a series of short sessions. It is easier to create a bang for each of the short sessions.

Another thing to avoid is to get up there and start firing like the 'old school teacher'. Let it be a sharing session where they should talk more than you and where you reserved the final minutes for summing up and the final message of the session.

If you have 'friends' within the audience, work with them first, make use of them to lead the discussion - the others will follow. You should get lively discussions and good responses and this will increase the effectiveness of your presentation.

P

Popeos

Hi Greg

You want happy customers

to get them you need good products

to get them you need good manufacturing process

to get them you need to make sure you are working in a good consistent way.

There is an international standard called iso 9001 that describes how to work this way.

And to promote / acknowledge this good faith / acomplishment, certificates are awarded after audit by external company.

It is good because this award is recognized by our customers as a sign of quality

So let's work for it together...

Popeos

AndyN

Moved On
Totally agree with Jim. ISO 9000 details are of little consequence to most people. Why the company are using it, certification and a few other things are useful. Otherwise, it would be like telling the electrician, plumber, framer/bricklayer and so on, the finer details of architectural design requirements for the house they are building - not necessary for them to do their job and only of mild interest!

Better focus on the QMS you have developed, frankly.

T

treesei

Totally agree with Jim. ISO 9000 details are of little consequence to most people. Why the company are using it, certification and a few other things are useful. Otherwise, it would be like telling the electrician, plumber, framer/bricklayer and so on, the finer details of architectural design requirements for the house they are building - not necessary for them to do their job and only of mild interest!

Better focus on the QMS you have developed, frankly.

Good point. Avoid details. If the meetings are function specific, (Purchasing 10-10:15, Engineering 10:30 -10:45 etc), couple of slides specifically focusing on the function may be helpful.

How to answer to auditor? First of all, do NOT volunteer any info.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator

I'm going to ask something that may sound sarcastic but it truly isn't. If your Registration Audit is in a couple of months, what have your or your management been communicating to employees up until this point on your ISO 9001 quest?

Was your QP approved previously and communicated out to everyone?

What about objectives and goals so that everyone knew what direction the company was taking?

Have folks wondered at all the documentation that they're being trained on?

Have you done an internal audit and during that time explained that it was "kind of like training for external audit" for them?

My opinion here is that ISO 9001 Awareness training now seems a little late...I'd determine what key message you want to send out and let that be your presentation.

But if you need to provide a bit of ISO 9001 Refresher training...

• Quality Policy? - Flash it up there and talk to how they can access it.
  • Objectives? - Keeping the customer happy and be able to explain how their function helps achieve that.
  • Exernal Audit? - Answer only the question asked and it's okay to say "I don't know...but I can ask my Supervisor."

Top Bottom