Small Companies and the ISO 9001 Management Representative

B

Bob the QE

I have taken 3 larger organizations through the ISO registration process and one through AS9100 and I am now working with a very small org. (about 11 people) on their ISO project. Since I have worked with larger org's it was never a problem identifying the ISO rep as a top management with the independence needed. However, in this smaller company I am finding it much more difficult to do this as the owner who is the president, engineer manager, sales manager and quality manager realy does not have the personnel to meet the ISO rep requirements. I come from a sister company and am only acting as tghe project coordinator. Has any one worked with such small companies and if so how did you meet the ISO rep requirements.

Thanks inadvance

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Small Companies and the ISO Rep

One of my ISO 9001 Clients is a small family business. Five people in all. The VP of Operations is also the Management Representative. All personnel have different roles and responsibilities that are well-defined. It's like a play where all actors play different roles..:)

Stijloor.

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

The only thing that is required is that the rep reports to top management, and that top management has given that person the responsibility and authority to act as management rep. The rep does not have to be a manager, just someone the management listens to and accepts as the person who can give the correct guidance in matters QMS related.

I've usually had another job besides my Mgt. Rep. responsibilities. It was just known that if those responsibilities had to take a priority back seat for MR duties, they would.

AndyN

Moved On

However, in this smaller company I am finding it much more difficult to do this as the owner who is the president, engineer manager, sales manager and quality manager really does not have the personnel to meet the ISO rep requirements. I come from a sister company and am only acting as the project coordinator. Has any one worked with such small companies and if so how did you meet the ISO rep requirements.

What's so burdensome that they can't fulfill this requirement? It's only a job done about 4 times a year for about a day at a time - IF they learn what to do to be effective...:mg:

SteelMaiden

Super Moderator
Trusted Information Resource

While I wouldn't go so far as to say it is an unimportant job performed 4 times per year..... really, there is very little there that can't be done as added duties to another job, especially if that job has anything to do with customer satisfaction, or a quality function.

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions

It's certainly achievable in a small company. The issue that Bob has hit is that the Quality Manager is also the owner, president, engineering manager, and sales manager. The standard states that the QM has to be appointed by top management and the QM must report to top management which taken literally may cause some auditors to object. Thinking about the purpose of this wording in the standard, makes you realize that:
a) the job function is performed - top management have the responsibility to assign resources, and
b) issues found by the QM must be brought to the attention of top management.

Neither of which cause a problem if the Quality Manager and "top management" are one and the same person.

jerry_Malaysia

Quite Involved in Discussions

It's certainly achievable in a small company. The issue that Bob has hit is that the Quality Manager is also the owner, president, engineering manager, and sales manager. The standard states that the QM has to be appointed by top management and the QM must report to top management which taken literally may cause some auditors to object. Thinking about the purpose of this wording in the standard, makes you realize that:
a) the job function is performed - top management have the responsibility to assign resources, and
b) issues found by the QM must be brought to the attention of top management.

Neither of which cause a problem if the Quality Manager and "top management" are one and the same person.

But the standard does not specify "Quality Manager shall be the MR". So, the owner can assign a clerk to be the MR and still fulfill all the requirements.;)

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

But the standard does not specify "Quality Manager shall be the MR". So, the owner can assign a clerk to be the MR and still fulfill all the requirements.;)

Well....

What does the Standard say?

Top management shall appoint a member of the organization's management who, irrespective of other responsibilities, shall have responsibility and authority that includes <snip>

Stijloor.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The *important* part is that who ever is the Management Representative know and understand ISO 9001 requirements. Someone in the company has to know and understand the standard and how it relates to their company and company systems.

Yes, a clerk could technically be 'assigned' to be management representative, but if the clerk doesn't know and understand the requirements of the standard, who will? How will the clerk know what the responsibilities of a management representative are?

Top Bottom