Standard for Dielectric Strength Test

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
Dear community,

IEC 60601-1 does not give very detailled information regarding the performance of dielectric strength testing. Does anybody know, if there is another standard for dielectric strength tests? I remember, that some time ago I have seen an extract from another standard that gave very detailled requirements on how to test the dielectric strength of cable insulation (put it onto a mandrel with specific dimensions, wind the cable around that mandrel a given number of windings...). But I cannot recall the standard number :-(

I have seen there is IEC 60060-1. But I am not sure if this gives me the information a am looking for. Does anybody have experience with IEC 60060-1?

Best regards,
Benjamin

Pads38

The test you refer to involving wires wrapped around a mandrel is referenced in Annex L of 60601 and comes from IEC 60851-5, winding wires, test methods.

Remember that the dielectric strength test only applies to solid insulation. Otherwise insulation is analysed using creepage and clearance distances, etc.

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
Thank you very much, that was the reference I couldn't recall.

The dielectric strength test applies only to solid insulation, I know. But look at a calbe insulation of a patient lead. This should be considered solid insulation and the dielectric strength test should be performed (unless there is no other objective evidence available, UL....). It's not a winding wire, so IEC 60851-5 is not applicable. But I would like to have more reliabe information on how to perform dielectric strength testing on normal cable insulation.

Pads38

I think that you could still use the 60851 method even if it is not a winding wire. I have used it myself, the 'mandrel' was a bar from a weight lifting set and, I seem to recall, it also involved a cardboard box and a bag of washers to provide the requisite tension in the wire.

It may be that this method is best used for thin wire - like a winding wire. I have seen other methods. IIRC there is one in the active implants standard where the lead is submerged in 0.9% saline but I don't have details to hand.

Top Bottom