Standards Updating Service? Current Revision Level of Standards

W

Watchwait

Our Notified Body asked the question: "How do you know if you are using the most current version of a standard?"

Consequently, I am trying to locate a service whereby I provide a list of the standards we are currently using and they provide me some sort of notification (email would be fine) when a new version of that standard has either been drafted or released. We may - or may not actually need the updated version, but that's a seperate decision and process. I know I have heard of just such services, but I'm having a hard time actually locating them.

Any leads from the Cove??

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Standards Updating Service?

Our Notified Body asked the question: "How do you know if you are using the most current version of a standard?"

Consequently, I am trying to locate a service whereby I provide a list of the standards we are currently using and they provide me some sort of notification (email would be fine) when a new version of that standard has either been drafted or released. We may - or may not actually need the updated version, but that's a seperate decision and process. I know I have heard of just such services, but I'm having a hard time actually locating them.

Any leads from the Cove??

Here are a few:

https://auto.ihs.com/

https://global.ihs.com/

https://www.techstreet.com/index.tmpl?tabName=default

https://www.standardsglossary.com/index.htm

Do some research. Hope this helps.

Stijloor.

D

D.Scott

We use Global Engineering and have had excellent results.

Dave

Randy

Super Moderator

I'm a bit on the slow and ignorant side being from Arkansas and all, but is there some kind of problem with just checking with the the generator or originator of the standards involved instead of these 2nd and 3rd party "well we think's"?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

I'm a bit on the slow and ignorant side being from Arkansas and all, but is there some kind of problem with just checking with the the generator or originator of the standards involved instead of these 2nd and 3rd party "well we think's"?

If there are only a few to keep track of, it's not hard to do, but an automotive manufacturer (for example) might have standards from GM, Ford, Chrysler, SAE, ASTM, ISO, ASME, etc., and there might be dozens from each source. Keeping track of them can be a nightmare.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor

IF you´re talking about medical devices, my suggestion as the best and "free" service would be the AAMI Standard Monitor Online (https://www.aami.org/standards/smo.html)

Also keep in mind that standards and other regulatory requirements monitoring is an integral part of the production and post-production information gathering requirements of ISO 14971. In my opinion, the use of a third party is not enough simply because it´s YOUR responsibility to determine your equipment regulatory requirements (you can still use these third party obviously but how do you validate that what they´re saying is really right?) Anyway, by experience i think that it´s much easier to keep track things myself and that it is a real assignment to a member of the regulatory affairs team of any company.

W

Watchwait

As a small medical device manufacturer, we are a one-person QA/RA dept. My issues with standards are threefold:

1. The definition of standards: In our small company, the term "standards" colloquially refers to regulations, guidance documents, and "real"standards.

2. In that population of documents, which apply to our product and our business? We design, develop, manufacture & distribute a complex electro mechanical, software-laden device to both domestic and international markets. We do our best to identify the appropriate standards/regulations and hope that our Notified Body exercises appropriate oversight.

3. Once identified, having a 3rd party notify us of revisions to standards/regulations that apply to our business/product is just one less thing I need to worry about. It's a service I would gladly pay for. I also think they can do a better job of this than I can as "searching for updates to existing standards" is best left to folks who provide that service for a living.

...not sure where I was going with all this initially but thanks to all for entertaining my ramblings....!

D

D.Scott

...not sure where I was going with all this initially but thanks to all for entertaining my ramblings....!

I don't think you were rambling. Your comments fit our company exactly.

I have been using a 3rd party for our automotive industry company for about 11 years now without a problem. As Jim stated, there are a bunch of documents. I just looked at the list Global maintains for us and see it is 18 pages long. This doesn't include any of the Big 3 documents which are handled under a different subscription.

I don't think it would be possible for us to confirm the revision level of our external documents on a daily basis if we had to do it on our own. The way it is, if any change is made, we are notified within hours (usually minutes) of the change.

Dave

Top Bottom