Supplier trying to avoid RMA's

A

axelrios

Hello,

My first post here, been reading for a while,

A supplier sent a component with solder on a specific side that the drawing do not call for solder, the drawing call for this side for plating on this side.The part cant be used like this, it is not only a cosmetic issue, this cause shorts and damages our tools

The thing is that on the other side that should be solder as stated on the drawing, per unknow reason some solder move to the other face of the parts( a lot)

The supplier says two things:

1. It is a design problem because they cannot avoid the solder on this side with current design, although we had no issues for like 5 years in a row.

2. The supplier says that the drawing do not mention that there should not be solder, so technically they can put solder if the want, my logic says that the drawing cannot mention all exclusion for foreign material on an area, by the supplier logic they can put plastic or even peanut butter jelly if they want.

Is there a norm, o specification on the media that, help defend my case?

What is your opinion on this case?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: Supplier trying to avoid RMA's?

"The supplier says that the drawing do not mention that there should not be solder, so technically they can put solder if the want, my logic says that the drawing cannot mention all exclusion for foreign material on an area, by the supplier logic they can put plastic or even peanut butter jelly if they want"

Thanks for making my morning!

Of course your supplier wants to avoid an RMA, we all do, but this is where quality people earn their pay. (on both sides). If there were no issues previously, then you have every right to question why your are not getting your product "as it always has been'.
Usually, this comes about because of a supplier change, so without knowing many details here, I am just putting forward some common issues.
There is the issue of your supplied drawing, it may be ambiguous and hard to interpret - you may have changed suppliers as I indicated earlier, or your supplier may even have subcontracted the part (very common), and is trying to hide this fact.
The 'reasonableness' test applies here. Would a reasonable person be able to interpret the drawing? I run across some regularly that I cannot even interpret!

A

axelrios

Thank you for the fast response,

I checked past SCAR and issues with them,(in new on this position here) they always win or are used to win.

I believe the drawing is clear enough, it ask for solder on one side and plating on the other side, and the fact is that we received parts without this problem for 5 years.

Is there any norm or specification for drawing or something similar?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator

from your description the requirement is clear.
they have clearly been able to meet that requirement in the past.

...you need a new supplier.

P

PaulJSmith

...you need a new supplier.
Perhaps.
I think the first step, though should be to try to find the reason for the change and attempt to get it corrected. Don't abandon them so quickly if they've had a good record until recently. Something has changed. Help them be a better supplier for you.

Of course, you should concurrently be searching for a viable alternative(s) should those efforts prove fruitless.

A

axelrios

Perhaps.
I think the first step, though should be to try to find the reason for the change and attempt to get it corrected. Don't abandon them so quickly if they've had a good record until recently. Something has changed. Help them be a better supplier for you.

Of course, you should concurrently be searching for a viable alternative(s) should those efforts prove fruitless.
The thing is, we had meetings almost daily with them for like 2 weeks,and we provided the information we could..... they don't know what caused the changed or root cause of the change, and they cant go back and make normal parts like 1 month ago...they are clearly arrogant, and they seem to not care about the issue a lot.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Just my opinion, of course, but I feel the issue needs to be escalated to a higher level in your organization.

The underlying issue appears to be lack of communication and information on an on-going basis between customer and supplier. Deming's System of Profound Knowledge suggests it is important to know as much as possible about the parts that make up the big picture. Changes at a supplier are certainly important factors, which, as you are witnessing, results in changes of product and attitude which now come as a surprise.

A

axelrios

Just my opinion, of course, but I feel the issue needs to be escalated to a higher level in your organization.
Well the director of material, the director of commodities, the most of the managers and the chief of operations are already involved., the supplier also has the heads of their side involved.

They did not changed their posture, they always have been bad at customer service and have bad attitude.

One of the main reason they have this position is that we used to be a small fish on the market, and we started buying small quantities from them, but now we buy as much as 10 times as before.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Well the director of material, the director of commodities, the most of the managers and the chief of operations are already involved., the supplier also has the heads of their side involved.

They did not changed their posture, they always have been bad at customer service and have bad attitude.

One of the main reason they have this position is that we used to be a small fish on the market, and we started buying small quantities from them, but now we buy as much as 10 times as before.
Here's a harsh truth:
"When a customer continues to be a customer after a supplier messes up time after time without REAL corrective action, it is the customer who is dysfunctional."

If the product is proprietary, there are STILL avenues of relief available (there are many consultants of my acquaintance who routinely resolve such issues in favor of the customer.)

If the product is NOT proprietary
, a cost analysis will show that it is probably less expensive for good product installed in place by paying more to a functional, responsive supplier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Supplier OTD Slip Due to Shipping Delays or Natural Disaster AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Re-labeler - audit the supplier EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Evelyn7E The fastest way to get supplier to ship good parts to you Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
J Verification of purchased product / supplier questionnaires ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Question on Supplier Quality (SCAR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Z REACH: contradictory statement from supplier? REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
R Select the 1 Supplier based on the Parts Durability from 6 Supplier Samples using Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Question and advice for a supplier self audit questionnaire ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Supplier approved list - Notified body, regulatory body Supply Chain Security Management Systems 4
N Making improvements in supplier relationship last? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
K Supplier Qualification for Engineering Consultant? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
M Supplier evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
briteme4 ASL - AS9100 / Supplier Survey Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A System for Supplier Documents Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 7
T IMDS submission without supplier's input? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J Supplier not responding to PPAP request APQP and PPAP 5
D Supplier audit Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
lanley liao Does all of the suppliers need to integrated into the supplier list qualified of the company? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
S Distinction between a critical supplier and a Virtual manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R AS9102 FAI Change in Material / Process Supplier AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
John Broomfield Five ways to botch your supplier management program Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
C Supplier survey - 200 to 250 duppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
J Where is the definition of a critical supplier? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
U Approved Vendor (supplier) List Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
P Training department ideas and development for automotive supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
B Software service provider as critical supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T AS9100D Clause 10.2.1g Supplier Corrective Action for each and every nonconformity? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Supplier protocol for the Quality Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
A API Spec Q1 Purchasing Process - Supplier Reevaluation based on Supplier Risks 5.6.1.4 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 19
D Approved supplier list - Distributors question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Supplier delivered recent PPAP, should he deliver yearly layout inspection? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
E ISO 13485 QMS certification as a Supplier ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
G Supplier doesn't share drawings IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
S Use of raw materials by two supplier CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
D Are Supplier Quality Agreements Quality Records ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 9
G Dealing with non conformity caused by Supplier Components detected in the production line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
G Supplier doesn't accept the complaints Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
A ASL requirement when the supplier is certified for ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Supplier Management ISO 13485: 2016- Which supplier needs to fill in a self assessment form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D Approved supplier list for R&D ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
D Supplier Quality level category help - high level ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Supplier Controlled Shipping (GM CS1) Condition Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
L Supplier within the Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5