Supplier trying to avoid RMA's

A

axelrios

Hello,

My first post here, been reading for a while,

A supplier sent a component with solder on a specific side that the drawing do not call for solder, the drawing call for this side for plating on this side.The part cant be used like this, it is not only a cosmetic issue, this cause shorts and damages our tools

The thing is that on the other side that should be solder as stated on the drawing, per unknow reason some solder move to the other face of the parts( a lot)

The supplier says two things:

1. It is a design problem because they cannot avoid the solder on this side with current design, although we had no issues for like 5 years in a row.

2. The supplier says that the drawing do not mention that there should not be solder, so technically they can put solder if the want, my logic says that the drawing cannot mention all exclusion for foreign material on an area, by the supplier logic they can put plastic or even peanut butter jelly if they want.

Is there a norm, o specification on the media that, help defend my case?

What is your opinion on this case?

Re: Supplier trying to avoid RMA's?

"The supplier says that the drawing do not mention that there should not be solder, so technically they can put solder if the want, my logic says that the drawing cannot mention all exclusion for foreign material on an area, by the supplier logic they can put plastic or even peanut butter jelly if they want"

Thanks for making my morning!

Of course your supplier wants to avoid an RMA, we all do, but this is where quality people earn their pay. (on both sides). If there were no issues previously, then you have every right to question why your are not getting your product "as it always has been'.
Usually, this comes about because of a supplier change, so without knowing many details here, I am just putting forward some common issues.
There is the issue of your supplied drawing, it may be ambiguous and hard to interpret - you may have changed suppliers as I indicated earlier, or your supplier may even have subcontracted the part (very common), and is trying to hide this fact.
The 'reasonableness' test applies here. Would a reasonable person be able to interpret the drawing? I run across some regularly that I cannot even interpret!

A

axelrios

Thank you for the fast response,

I checked past SCAR and issues with them,(in new on this position here) they always win or are used to win.

I believe the drawing is clear enough, it ask for solder on one side and plating on the other side, and the fact is that we received parts without this problem for 5 years.

Is there any norm or specification for drawing or something similar?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator

from your description the requirement is clear.
they have clearly been able to meet that requirement in the past.

...you need a new supplier.

P

PaulJSmith

...you need a new supplier.
Perhaps.
I think the first step, though should be to try to find the reason for the change and attempt to get it corrected. Don't abandon them so quickly if they've had a good record until recently. Something has changed. Help them be a better supplier for you.

Of course, you should concurrently be searching for a viable alternative(s) should those efforts prove fruitless.

A

axelrios

Perhaps.
I think the first step, though should be to try to find the reason for the change and attempt to get it corrected. Don't abandon them so quickly if they've had a good record until recently. Something has changed. Help them be a better supplier for you.

Of course, you should concurrently be searching for a viable alternative(s) should those efforts prove fruitless.

The thing is, we had meetings almost daily with them for like 2 weeks,and we provided the information we could..... they don't know what caused the changed or root cause of the change, and they cant go back and make normal parts like 1 month ago...they are clearly arrogant, and they seem to not care about the issue a lot.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Just my opinion, of course, but I feel the issue needs to be escalated to a higher level in your organization.

The underlying issue appears to be lack of communication and information on an on-going basis between customer and supplier. Deming's System of Profound Knowledge suggests it is important to know as much as possible about the parts that make up the big picture. Changes at a supplier are certainly important factors, which, as you are witnessing, results in changes of product and attitude which now come as a surprise.

A

axelrios

Just my opinion, of course, but I feel the issue needs to be escalated to a higher level in your organization.

Well the director of material, the director of commodities, the most of the managers and the chief of operations are already involved., the supplier also has the heads of their side involved.

They did not changed their posture, they always have been bad at customer service and have bad attitude.

One of the main reason they have this position is that we used to be a small fish on the market, and we started buying small quantities from them, but now we buy as much as 10 times as before.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Well the director of material, the director of commodities, the most of the managers and the chief of operations are already involved., the supplier also has the heads of their side involved.

They did not changed their posture, they always have been bad at customer service and have bad attitude.

One of the main reason they have this position is that we used to be a small fish on the market, and we started buying small quantities from them, but now we buy as much as 10 times as before.
Here's a harsh truth:
"When a customer continues to be a customer after a supplier messes up time after time without REAL corrective action, it is the customer who is dysfunctional."

If the product is proprietary, there are STILL avenues of relief available (there are many consultants of my acquaintance who routinely resolve such issues in favor of the customer.)

If the product is NOT proprietary
, a cost analysis will show that it is probably less expensive for good product installed in place by paying more to a functional, responsive supplier.

Sounds like right now you need leverage, and investigating other source/suppliers should be in progress. You may have to live with this supplier while your alternate supplier comes online, so have a plan for that as well.

Top Bottom