Teams and Lean Manufacturing

S

Schroeder

Teams

What are the advantages and disadvantages of working with (and in) teams?

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Leader
Admin
Shroeder,

Teams are very important and a 'must' in my book. Here are some thoughts on your request to get things started:

Some advantages -

Cooperation
Collaboration
two minds are better than one, many minds are better than two
harmony
increased intrinsic motivation
flow

Some disadvantages -

generally creates some disruption to daily activities
sometimes creates competition (in all it forms)

back to the group...

Kevin

E

energy

It sure does

Originally posted by Kevin Mader
Some disadvantages -
sometimes creates competition (in all it forms)
Kevin
Kevin, Does it ever. In spite of rules that we all agreed on, we still have:

1. Interruptions, of the speaker and the group itself by outside sources.
2. Side conversations going on while someone is talking.
3. Personal attacks...not physical, yet. Subtle, and not so subtle ridicule of an idea or person.
4. Grandstanding by those that forget that there is no hierarchy in team.
5. Everybody is equal...not!
6. Every viewpoint is important...not!

Me, I'm sick of it :mad:

So, I watch and listen, just to be part of the "Mandated" team (Lean Mfg.) The clock is my focus and when it's going to end. I know how it's supposed to work. But, our "leader" is the worst offender!:biglaugh: It's a big waste of my time. Why, I could be here in the Cove raising h...! :ko: :smokin:

A

Al Dyer

Teams are a good thing if they are set up with the final goal in mind and taking into account the personalities and foibles of possible team members. I think the most important aspect is the leader of the team.

The leader has to do exactly that, lead, direct, softly chastize, initiate discussion and foremost earn the respect of the team.

Is it allowable to kick someone off of a team? Yes, if that is what needs to be done to earn respect and move on to the completion of the goal.

Kevin Mader

Leader
Admin
A Search is a terrible thing to waste!

And how!!!

Teamwork is essential to optimizing the system. Individual efforts, unguided by a common Aim, leads to suboptimization. Al’s comments about having a goal in mind is a good one, but as energy points out, it has to be agreed upon by the whole with everyone’s input. This is what I meant about collaborative agreement. A good leader would be sure that this is accomplished and that order is maintained.

I get the impression that energy is not fond of Lean Manufacturing. As such, team members should agree to explore the validity of this concern. It maybe discovered that a modification or total scrapping of the idea should be made. How productive would a team be if there were division amongst team members, lack of agreement on the goal/objective/aim, and lack of leadership?

Net loss: a lot of time and energy (no pun intended, although appropriate)!:biglaugh:

Kev

E

energy

You betcha!

Originally posted by Kevin Mader
I get the impression that energy is not fond of Lean Manufacturing. As such, team members should agree to explore the validity of this concern. It maybe discovered that a modification or total scrapping of the idea should be made. How productive would a team be if there were division amongst team members, lack of agreement on the goal/objective/aim, and lack of leadership Kev

Kevin,

I’m never fond of things that are a total waste of time. We are a start up company with a “lean” workforce with personnel performing multiple tasks. Our processes are so “Lean” that if they were any leaner, they would be invisible. The CEO saw the “buzzword” on the Internet and being totally removed from the business (other than profit), he decided to go for it. Not one person on the team thinks we need it. That may account for “unruly” behavior. We noticed that Top MGT isn’t represented. (The CFO?-give me a break). To me, it’s a plaque on the wall thing. If you’ve read my posts on our ISO tribulations, you’d have your finger on the pulse of this company and their commitment to programs. Why am I still here? I love it and would like to see an ISO Company. I will use the "Lean" process flow charts in the ISO effort. When the Lean training is over, believe me, it’s over.
I’m a team player, but don’t p*** down my back and tell me it’s raining. These trainers are so far removed from what we do here; we’re just nodding our collective heads (when we agree) so that they will go on their merry way. Give the CEO a nice report, get their check and gives us our souvenir to hang on the wall. Then, it’s back to real work!
:biglaugh: :smokin:

U

Unregistered

Lean Manufacturing/TEAMS

Energy,

Lean Manufacturing had a very positive effect on our work force for the first couple of months. After that everyone realized that upper management was just paying lip service to our biggest customer:D. The drop in employee morale and attitude shift caused by this realization was extremely hard to recover from. My take on lean is that unless it is totaly supported by management it is a complete wast of TIME!!!

As for teams what a great concept, Unfortunately that is all it seems to be. Everyone starts out with a common goal and a good attituden and before you know it the battle begins. I have had the unfortunate title of team member several times, it seems to me we spend more time arguing than anything else. I suppose a good leader could and would make all the differance in the world.

I guess I have vented enough; NEXT,

Curt

Kevin Mader

Leader
Admin
I am enjoying how this thread is unraveling. I’ll give you a hint: it has something to do with the ill feelings about Lean Manufacturing (any initiative for the matter).

Peter Scholtes says this about teams and teamwork: “there is a difference between teams and teamwork.” Peter refers to a group of people working towards a common aim a team. Teamwork is much more than that. Teamwork defines what the corporate environment is when we have “trust, support, respect, interdependence, and collaboration.” For more, please read pages 175-181 in the Leader’s Handbook.

What do your organizations support? Teams or teamwork?

I believe the answer you get will inevitably reflect on the receptiveness of any initiative in your organization. In addition, what I am seeing here in the posts is that there is a great misunderstanding of what “Lean” is on the Senior level. I have experienced the same in a few of the organizations I have worked for. I believe this has a lot to do with silly and destructive metrics such as ‘profit per employee’. Two ways to get the answer you want: one is certainly distasteful!

Regards,

Kevin

C

Curt de Mich

LEAN

Kevin,

Don't missunderstand me I think "lean" has some very valuable cocepts. The problem (IMHO) is that management takes the less is more attitude:thedeal: As those of us who have taken on the numerous titles resulting from this theory "NOT"

I can see that this thread will keep us occupied for a little while. Everyone seems to have their own tilt to this buzz word LEAN.

Later,

Curt

Top Bottom