Thinking about a New Job for New Year?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Actually Wes, he probably won't move on, as it's his firm. From our discussions, he's a bit older than I am, so retirement may be in the future. I don't think it's close though because the impression I've received from our discussions is that he loves what he does, which helps make work a lot more interesting and enjoyable. And as I said he's really good at it.

I've used recruiters on and off since my 2nd job hunt back in 1980. Some were good, most were OK, a few were a total loss. George is truly outstanding - I wish I'd happened across him 20 years ago.
Without further identifying "George" for the moment - What are the characteristics or attributes which give you this perception of George?
  1. Does he specialize in one industry?
  2. Does he specialize in one type of job?
  3. Does he give you a "critique" of your cover letter and resume, helping you make it as optimal as possible to attract the attention of an employer?
  4. Does he give you a lot of background information on the employer and the employer's industry you can use to reframe a cover letter or to use in a face to face interview to give you an edge against candidates NOT presented by his firm?
  5. Does he have EXCLUSIVE retainer agreements with employers so he doesn't have to pussyfoot around to keep candidates from going behind his back or tipping off other candidates NOT presented by him?
  6. Does he cover a wide geographic area?
  7. Does he "debrief" you after an interview and give you feedback from the employer how you came across in the interview? (some employers don't trust the agent enough to give him such feedback)
  8. Do employers speak well of him at any time during the interview?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

Kevin H

Hi Wes,
Sorry for the delay in replying. I got busy with the job change and holidays. George specializes in 2 areas - the foundry industry and healthcare, (he also does additional work in the metals area, because 1 potential that fell through was with a steel mill in northern FL) what attacted him to me is my background in metals (BS - Metallurgy) and Quality experience credentials. He doesn't specialize in just the quality/metallurgy area of foundries, but also operations, and is not limited to 1 part of the country - I had interviews in Alabama, Arizona, Missouri, New York, & PA. I also rejected some potential positions due to locations - eastern NJ for example.
He did not critique my resume per se, but did indicate it was one of the better ones he has seen over the years. He handled the initial contact with potential employers, so I can't comment on cover letters.
George gave me extensive background on the company and the people I would be meeting ahead of each interview, and debriefed me after each one as well, seeking my input regarding the interview process and also relaying feedback from the interviewers to me.
I'm not certain if he has an exclusive retainer agreements, but from our discussions and the way he acted I would infer that he does. ( I guess I'm old fashioned, but I'd never try to go behind a recruiter's back after I had made the initial contact through him/her.)
The employers all spoke well of him and in fact, I had some interviewers who started to question my initial contact for the position, read their briefing a lttle further, and said Oh, you're coming in through George ..... and then acted as though that alone was a qualifying fact.
George has continued to maintain contact since I've accpeted the position and has expressed a position that his job isn't done until both my wife and I are here and happy. Of course, the fact that she's an occupational therapist and his organization also works in healthcare may have a little to do with that. :)

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
It certainly seems that your guy, George, is doing the right things, especially keeping contact. Most folks starting in business have difficulty understanding the importance of the care and feeding of past customers as potential FREE referrals for new or continuing business.

The concept is to continually keep the business in a customer's mind so that it springs to the forefront when an occasion for that business arises. It's the reason Coke and McDonalds continue to advertise - to keep awareness amid the clutter of competition vying for the customer dollar. Consider it part of the overhead cost of doing SUCCESSFUL business.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Back to the topic: Thinking about a New Job for New Year?

Back to the topic:

So, it's the New Year. If you are out of work, how many companies have you researched this week? Do you have a pile of cover letters and inquiries ready to send out to hit the desks of your targets on Monday, January 7?

Or, did you decide to take a vacation WITHOUT PAY and give your active competitors a step ahead in the race for a good job?

If you are NOT out of work, did you take some time during the slow holiday period to review and update your resume and REALLY review your happiness and comfort with your present job? Was the Christmas bonus and year-end raise what you expected and earned?

Are you making an effort in your current job to gain what Deming called "Profound Knowledge" about your organization and how it meshes and interacts with customers, suppliers, regulators, competitors, and the community at large? If not, why not? If you already know it all, are you compensated accordingly? If not, why not?

Some folks talk about "New Year Resolutions," but seldom get past the talking stage. If you fit that category, why?

It's been a brutal year for many folks. For various reasons, the coming year will be as brutal or even more brutal as economic consequences cascade through government and industry. Change is an inevitable part of life.

The bottom line for today is:
Are you prepared to survive and even excel as part of the change?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Just a bump to remind the folks who took two weeks off of job hunting at no pay that
"Time's awasting!"

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Another bump!

Economists seem to agree the USA is in a full recession.

Some prices of commodities are rising so fast and so high, I can't recall a similar situation in forty-five years of being an adult.

This year, for Easter, I paid three times as much for eggs as I did last year. Local governments are piling on by raising sales taxes which further magnify the effect. Cook County, Illinois (Chicago's county) has boosted sales taxes so a Chicago resident is paying 10-1/2% sales tax! Buy a car for $20,000 and the net price after tax is $22,100. Not much compared to some European countries, but a big shock in an area where the tax was less than 7% five years ago.

Every day, the newspaper reports another big layoff at some major company, while the small companies slide quietly under water, with ever widening ripples running through the economy, so that no one feels secure in his job.

If you are one of the folks who lost his job or are starting to see some handwriting on the wall indicating your job is less secure this week than it was last week, you NEED to read this thread and its companion threads
Resume and cover letter - How good are yours?
https://elsmar.com/elsmarqualityforum/threads/10169
The Job Hunt - Care and feeding of references
https://elsmar.com/elsmarqualityforum/threads/19094
Tips to get past the "gatekeeper" when job hunting
https://elsmar.com/elsmarqualityforum/threads/9325

Even in troubled times, there are jobs available for folks who can help an organization solve its problems. Your task is to position yourself to be that problem solver for at least ONE organization.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
This is a "bump" for a thread which seems more pertinent than ever, given the current state of the USA and world economy. I've added another edit to post #1. I'd like to see some posts outlining successful strategies for job hunts in this tough economy. Most of all, I'd like to read some posts from those who have found these job threads helpful in their OWN searches over the past few years we've been running them!

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
So - it's a New Year - tens of thousands more folks in the USA have lost their jobs over the holidays.

Were you one of them? Your spouse? your child? some other relative? There are very few of us who do not have some connection to a person dislocated by the current economic crisis.

Think about the old adage:
"It is better to teach a starving man to fish than to feed him a fish!"

In my business experience ranging over the past 45 years, this is the widest and worst economic recession the USA has seen.

YET
I absolutely declare there are still good, perhaps even great jobs to be had for folks who position themselves as the answer to a problem creating a crisis at the prospective employer.

Most companies have identified their primary problem, but the best prospects for landing a great job are with a company still struggling to identify the problem facing them. The savvy candidate who can come in, identify, and solve that problem can literally write his own ticket.

It takes research, perseverance, and charm on the part of the candidate aiming for those elite jobs. The rest of us have a better chance at finding and getting a job if we find a way to set ourselves apart from the pack of desperate people looking for a job. One of the prime ways to avoid the pack is to avoid the gatekeepers who act as the "choke points" for those hundreds and thousands of resumes flooding the companies still lucky enough to be operating - not to mention the hundreds and thousands of resumes wasted when they are sent to companies which are FUBAR (look up the acronym!) and have very little hope of finding the miracle which will keep them alive through 2009.

Take the time now to read through the job threads listed below for your own benefit or recommend them to that relative or friend who can benefit from the tips they contain.

Good luck!
There are actually four threads in this series which folks have found useful
https://elsmar.com/elsmarqualityforum/threads/19619

Why not read through them and judge for yourself?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Recession got you by the throat?

As I have been writing for years here in the Cove, finding a new or different job is a job all by itself. It takes skill, dedication, and knowledge to land a job successfully where you and the employer are a good match.

Some of you who read this are already out of work. Others see the handwriting on the wall, while yet others echo Alfred E. Neuman ["What, me worry?"] because they just can't believe it could happen to them!

This week, the Chicago Tribune has been running a series on the effects of the recession. Today's article seems like a great educational tool and in the spirit of fair use for educational purposes, I have excerpted some portions of the article for use here. The entire article can be read for a short time at the url shown (Tribune only leaves them free to the public for a short time and then charges a fee for accessing older articles in its archive.)

I have highlighted some sentences which echo tips I've written in the Occupation Discussion threads before, but they bear repeating - those that don't study history are usually condemned to repeat it - especially the bad parts!

There is a thread running concurrently
(Longevity at work - how long have you been working for your present employer?)
with a poll asking how long some folks have been employed at the same organization. Sadly, there are some poignant comments included.

The excerpted version of the Tribune article:
(broken link removed)

New jobs can be found, even in a recession

The job of finding a job

Experts: Assess, plan, network

5 tips for the hunt:
1. Make finding a job your new job.
2. Tell everybody you're job hunting.
3. Search online but also press the flesh.
4. Consider jobs outside your field.
5. During phone interviews, stand up to project more energy.

By Mary Ellen Podmolik
Tribune reporter
January 6, 2009

You're out of work. You're hardly alone. Through the first 11 months of 2008, the nation's economy lost 1.9 million jobs.

That means that just like it's a buyer's market for houses, where home shoppers can be extra choosy, the recession makes it an employer's market for new hires.

It's no time to dwell on the negative, though. Experts say there are strategies and techniques to conquering joblessness.

Even during a severe economic downturn, organizations have positions to fill, and after the shock of the pink slip has worn off, it will be your assignment to get noticed and get hired.

You can break down the process into several steps:

•File for unemployment insurance benefits right away. Depending on your eligibility, that money is there for you for a half-year and maybe longer.

•Pause, don't panic. Take a little time to get over the trauma and get ready for the next stage in your career.

•Start the search process, mapping out a plan with the same seriousness with which you would undertake a project while working for an employer.

It won't necessarily be easy.
<SNIP>
But a key step comes early: assessing your skills and figuring out how they translate into different jobs and industries. Particularly during a recession, it's not smart to pigeonhole yourself into believing you can only work in the field you just left. You've got to believe your skills will benefit other industries.

"If you're an assertive-type person in this market, is that an advantage? Yes," said Maxine Topper, supervisor of career counselors for Jewish Vocational Service. "People have to be more aware of where they fit, where they are going [career-wise] and the needs of the employer. [Hiring managers] have a job to fill and they have a ton of people standing in line for that job."

<SNIP>
Career counselors say the steps to finding a job in a recession aren't that much different from during good times; you just have to work harder at it. The must-do list includes:

•Check your pride at the door. Tell everyone you know that you're out of work. A job lead may come from a neighbor, a fellow church member or the parent of a child's friend. "There is no throwaway contact," said Wilmette management consultant Marilyn Moats Kennedy. "The shame is not there anymore."

Don't try to find a job by spending day and night in front of the computer. "This is not a time to be stuck in your home office or your basement," said Craig Randall, managing director of the Chicago office of executive search firm DHR International. "If you're trying to sell something, you've got to go out and press the flesh. Make a list of everybody you know and really attack your personal Rolodex."

Research an opening by using the Internet to learn about the company and the industry so you can sell what benefit your addition to the company would bring.

"If you have a contact [at a company], don't make that call until you do your research, know how to talk about yourself and what you can offer," said Monica Keane, executive director of Barrington Career Center.

When it comes time for a phone interview, Kennedy tells clients to do them standing up because you project more energy standing than sitting.

•Ask your direct managers if they'll help you with a reference because they have the best knowledge of your work and your accomplishments. While some organizations limit their communication related to former employees, given the non-personal reason for a lot of layoffs today, they may be willing to help.

•Seek assistance and support from career centers and networking groups. One site to check out is www.chicagojobs.org, which has links to area organizations that offer support groups, resume assistance and skill-building workshops. Several religious organizations offer assistance on a non-denominational basis.

However, make sure the group advances your job search. Camaraderie is fine at the beginning, but the best groups help advance a member's search.

•Decide whether you can afford to be underemployed and whether you can deal with being overqualified for a position.

"Don't take a job just because it's a job," said Paul Schneider, managing partner of SSP, a human resources consulting firm. "If it doesn't work out, six months later you'll be back on the job market and now what's your excuse of why you left?"

•Look past the biggest, well-known companies. Smaller companies, counselors say, are eager to scoop up talent that they perhaps couldn't attract a few years ago.

•Stay positive. "No one is going to hire someone who comes to them with a sad sack story," Keane said.

[email protected]
Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune

Got some comments about this article or about our Cove series of Occupation Discussions? Let's see 'em!
There are actually four threads in this series which folks have found useful
https://elsmar.com/elsmarqualityforum/threads/19619

Why not read through them and judge for yourself?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Bump for 2010: Thinking about a New Job for New Year?

I'm from Canada and we have free employment services that i highly recommend for help with resume writing and interview preparation. If you're in Canada its well worth it to check out the government services in this area - I used them about 3 years ago and it gave me the confidence I needed to get out there. I think passion is a big seller. Gary
I apologize for not commenting on this for nearly an entire year. The fact is the USA ALSO has a system of employment help and job referrals available to anyone through an individual state's department of employment security. In Illinois, for example, the web site is https://www.ides.state.il.us/ and offers help even to folks not eligible for collecting unemployment checks. It is a good resource and often high-level jobs are offered as well as important and valuable counseling in writing resumes, researching prospective employers, and handling personal interviews.

In general, this is a bump to bring the issue of job hunting back to the fore. In the USA, employers are usually very slack in pursuing new employees during the winter holidays, but that doesn't mean the candidates should stop researching companies to target for the campaign and begin with resumes and phone calls as soon as companies are back to work after holiday breaks.

Are you newly out of work? or still looking to replace a job you lost months ago? In either case, the best time to start looking is right now. Don't waste time on self-pity or anger. What's past is past; use your past experience to avoid pitfalls. Decide what you liked and what you disliked about the jobs you've had and resolve to make the next job more to your liking. One of the important factors in liking a job is whether you will be treated with respect in action and in pay for the effort you put forth for the organization. Your primary task is to actually EARN the respect you crave.

Top Bottom