Too many customer complaints

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Graciel: is it expected that you are to get to root cause and a corrective action that prevents recurrence? or is the expectation more along the line of dispositioning the non conforming material (scrap, rework, repair and replace?)

If it's the first thing 9 days is arbitrary and incredibly unrealistic. if it's the second then it's probably not that bad once you get the hang of everything.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
In the beginning of the 8D process, not finding the real root cause can cause ineffective correction.
At the end, the actions put in place aren't good enough or not being used properly.

I'll never forget my big 3 automotive customer's outrage when I told them the 8D is just a tracking tool and doesn't really find the root cause or much else useful.

I've certainly seen this happen when people treat "an 8D" as a form to fill out. People just enter garbage to get it off their desk as quickly as possible. This is more frequent when every little thing "becomes an 8D" and the process is managed more from a "hit the arbitrary timeline" goal rather than as a true attempt to get at real corrective action.

8D was not intended to be a form. it is a problems solving framework that when followed with the appropriate and effective methods is quite effective. I've used it my organization to great success over the years solving hundreds of complex and simple Problems. The timeframe has lasted from 3 days to 2 years (when redesign is needed). I've also struggled with suppliers and some internal groups early on who just penciled whipped the form. The cause was not that 8D is weak it is that 1) the group doesn't care about quality improvements and/or 2) they didn't have knowledge or experience in effective methods.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Do you have access to the complaints that have happened over the past year or so and subsequent 8Ds? Further to Randy's point regarding looking for commonality, my other suggestion could be to look for re-establishing "triggers" or "levels" for when an 8D is needed.

Nonconformances happen. It's a fact of life - no process or process output is going to be 100% perfect. But a full blown 8D and root cause analysis is needed for each nonconformance. Some simply require a correction. By looking at the data, you can prioritize the work being done...and as the "bigger issues" are resolved over time, these "triggers" can be adjusted and tightened.

Last edited:

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Do you have access to the complaints that have happened over the past year or so and subsequent 8Ds? Further to Randy's point regarding looking for commonality, my other suggestion could be to look for re-establishing "triggers" or "levels" for when an 8D is needed.

Nonconformances happen. It's a face of life - no process or process output is going to be 100% perfect. But a full blown 8D and root cause analysis is needed for each nonconformance. Some simply require a correction. By looking at the data, you can prioritize the work being done...and as the "bigger issues" are resolved over time, these "triggers" can be adjusted and tightened.
I'll probably need to wait a few more days to understand their non conformities and procedures since I have just one week in this company. My concern is that, facing this reality (having only 9 days to solve so many complaints and having so many repeated issues) that "maybe" the quality manager doesn't know what's happening or maybe he doesn't even do a follow up on this.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Graciel, though not perfect, the 8D serves as a framework...to RC defects, failures, complaints etc., regardless of field of endeavor, there must be some form of corporate knowledge repository re: failures, RC, CA etc....many call this a Master PFMEA...regardless of "name", it is crucial especially in reducing or preventing the recurrence of problems defects etc.

Hope this helps...

qcman

Registered Visitor
As many have said 8D's issued for every occurrence become nothing more than a form. Lets face it more often than not these are being issued by a shift technician who believes the more CA they issue the better job they are doing. For this reason when it involves a one or two part issue I tell the customer we will level up and 100% sort stock but unless its a repeat issue I will not do an 8D. With that said expecting an effective 8D to be completed in 9 days is not realistic. Pretty common timeline is 24hr containment, root cause 14 days with corrective action and implementation completed in 30-60 days. The easy ones can be closed pretty quickly but I suggest calling the customer SQE and opening discuss your issue. I find the seasoned SQE's to be pretty reasonable.

QChas

Involved - Posts
As I always say when I am presented with an inadequate response time request (had a customer who wanted the 8D completed within 72 hours of receipt), "What do you want, a corrective action or a piece of paper?" . Unfortunately some still don't get it!

Top Bottom