Trends in findings from 'Stage 1' and 'Stage 2' CB Assessments

AndyN

Moved On
I am doing some research for a presentation on the findings and trends from the new 'stage 1' and 'stage 2' assessment process by Certification Bodies under the ISO/IEC 17021 scheme.

I'm aware that most CB's are fairly 'new' to this process, however, any data would be helpful, especially from those organizations who recently underwent their stage 1 and/or stage 2.

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Andy, I've always done 2 Stages because I mostly deliver EMS and OHSMS ...Are you talking poor doc control, internal audit, inadequate mgmt review and stuff like that?

Big Jim

Admin
I think you mean 17021. 17025 is the Calibration standard.

I did my first Stage II registration audit today.

I did a Re-registration audit earlier this week using the new Stage II style workbook.

I did my first Surveillance audit about two weeks ago using the new Stage II style workbook.

If I have an irritation over the new scheme it would be that I think the auditee should have had some warning that we would be looking for key performance indicators.

At the moment, it is taking me longer to get through the audit, but I'm sure it is just a matter of getting accustomed to the changes.

AndyN

Moved On
Thanks, Big Jim - it should be 17021!:eek:

Yes, Randy, based on my revised standard!!:notme:

Jim, process notwithstanding, what were the results like?

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Thanks, Big Jim - it should be 17021!:eek:

Yes, Randy, based on my revised standard!!:notme:

Jim, process notwithstanding, what were the results like?

Do you want data from actual organizations that went through both the Stage 1 and Stage 2 or how CB's are seeing the trend on organizations that they have audited?

Big Jim

Admin
Andy,

It is really too soon to tell. I don't think I found any more nonconformances than before if that is what you are after. I do like the escalating emphasis on the process approach. Once the auditees (and their consultants) become adapted to the process approach with the newly implemented key performance indicators it should make the audits easier. Tracking KPI should also be a big benefit for them. That is, if they embrace it. Some probably never will, and they will remain difficult to audit.

AndyN

Moved On
Per my original post, I'm looking for information, especially from organizations who've undergone their assessments.

I understand (per my OP) that it may be early in the process, and I'm not trying to make a comparison with the previous process findings, I'm just looking for data..........

Since quite a few CB's are not yet accredited, I believe clients are where most of the intelligence will come from. But, hey, I'll take anything I can get...:agree1:

Top Bottom