TS 16949 Clause 7.4.1.2 - Supplier Development and ISO 9000 Registration Requirement

K

Kerry

According to TS16949 7.4.1.2, "Unless otherwise specified by the customer, suppliers to the organization shall be third party registered to ISO 9001:2000 by an accredited third-party certification body."

To which suppliers does this requirement apply? Obviously suppliers of direct material that would go into your saleable product would be required to be registered, but what about suppliers of indirect material such as tooling & equipment, coolants, or anything else that could affect product quality? What about prototype suppliers? Suppliers of services such as design/CAD work?

If, as Note 1 of 7.4.1 states, purchased products include all products and services that affect customer requirements...then one could make a case that all of the suppliers listed above would be required to be registered.

Anyone have any clarification on this requirement for me?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm surprised there hasn't been a resonse to this. Any takers or thread recommendations?

N

Neil

Major Stumbling Block

I too need some clarification on this one. I have recommended to the senior executive group that we upgrade from QS-9000 to TS16949 at our June 2003 re-certification. But I have a number of key vendors (tooling, outside processors etc.) that are either ISO9001 or 2 :1994 that are not due to upgrade to ISO9001:2000 until after our June date. As far I can read into the TS standard this won't fly. It does not seem reasonable to demand that those vendors move up their dates and disrupt their normal audit cycles (at additional costs no doubt). Any advise here would be greatly appreciated.

A

Al Dyer

AIAG has a new free program called Quality QuickBytes that lets subscibers receive the latest information on TS-1694492002.

mows.aiag.org/asppages/quickbytes.asp

Or just go straight to the AIAG site and look for the link.

www.aiag.org

C

Canoehead

I'm also looking for some clarification on these issues. I've been asked to get a second opinion on the Supplier Requirement. Does a QS9K:98 with a ISO 9002:1994 base meet the TS 16949 Requirement? It was my understanding that ISO 9***:2000 was the minimum, anything over is extra. How much is required beyond this, i.e. plan to achieve TS?

Thanks very much,
Canoehead

R

ralphsulser

TS 16949:2002 states:
7.4.1.2 Supplier Quality Management System Development
Organization shall perform supplier quality system development with the goal of supplier conformity with this Technical Specification.
Conformity to ISO 9001:2000 is the first step in achieving this goal.

This is what we are working to accomplish.

C

Canoehead

Thanks for the prompt response, but I want to be sure I've got your answer. We've got a supplier that is QS-9000:98, based on ISO 9002:1994. Does this meet the 7.4.1.2 requirement, and if not, why and what else is required?

Thanks once again

S

Sam

Canoehead said:
Thanks for the prompt response, but I want to be sure I've got your answer. We've got a supplier that is QS-9000:98, based on ISO 9002:1994. Does this meet the 7.4.1.2 requirement, and if not, why and what else is required?

Thanks once again

If you are the organization certified to TS2 and this is your supplier, then No, they do not meet the the requirement. Refer to the note at the bottom of of 7.4.1.2.

TS2 for your supplier is a goal set by you the organization. However there is no requirement for your supplier to achieve that goal.

K

Kevin H

re: QS ve ISO 9001:2000

I agree with Sam :agree1: - QS doesn't meet the requirements of ISO 9001:2000. When we were jointly registered to both QS & ISO 9001:2000, and using our parent company's Quality manual, which was only QS-9000 we had to add an additional section to comply with the ISO 9001:2000 requirements. For furtehr clarification of supplier development, go to the IAOB web site and check out #2 under ISO/TS 16949 regarding supplier development. The address is: www.iaob.org/faq

We faced a similar problem with supplier certification - our auditor and registrar accepted a plan to address the fact that not all of raw material suppliers are, or are willing to pursue registration to ISO 9001:2000. If you have non-registered suppliers - develop a plan to assist them in getting registered.

Regards,
Kevin

Top Bottom