TS 16949 Outside Process Control Requirements

S

stogsdill1

Hi Folks!

I would like to clarify how outside processes are controlled in order to comply with TS 16949. We currently complete control plans, siting "supplier controlled" as a control method for outside processes. We then attach supplier certifications to the customer spec. Is this correct or should we be doing more?

We have a new employee suggesting we need our outside processes to provide us with PPAP. I'm not sure how you could PPAP a single process such as powder coating...

Again, I thank you all for being here!

Chennaiite

Never-say-die
Trusted Information Resource
Hi Folks!

I would like to clarify how outside processes are controlled in order to comply with TS 16949. We currently complete control plans, siting "supplier controlled" as a control method for outside processes. We then attach supplier certifications to the customer spec. Is this correct or should we be doing more?

We have a new employee suggesting we need our outside processes to provide us with PPAP. I'm not sure how you could PPAP a single process such as powder coating...

Again, I thank you all for being here!

If I understand correctly, you are talking about the outsourced manufacturing process which is Powder Coating. The Control plan of your process shall specify the incoming product controls, if any required. Since you have indicated ISO/TS 16949, you must be doing process FMEA which provides good source of information to decide whether incoming controls are required and to what extent required.

PPAP in general is basically the approval you are providing the powder coating supplier to start regular supply. But this approval obviously will demand your confidence in not only the product supplied, but also in the manufacturing process and capacity of the supplier by verifying his process controls, etc to ensure that your requirements are fully understood, will be met and sustainable. So the new employee could be right.

There are also few other things ISO/TS talks about in the context of outsourcing such as Supplier selection, evaluation, re-evaluation, etc. Are you ISO/TS certified? Is your question restricted to controls on outsourcing process or ISO/TS compliance as a whole?

S

stogsdill1

Thank you.

We are ISO 9001 at the moment but are moving towards TS16949. We have our supplier evaluation process, I was asking more specifically about what is required for PPAP when an outside process is used. I have heard we can add the outside process to our PPAP ( PFMEA and Control Plan), and have also heard that we should request a full PPAP from the supplier. To date, we have just added the OP to our PPAP, relying on the supplier certs for verification.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I think technically you are supposed to get a full PPAP. Realistically, for common processes such as slitting steel, commercial plating, powder coating and such, many don't provide PPAPs as there is little value. Customers seem to accept it, as you need to stop somewhere.

It will really depend on who your customer is and the type of processes. If you are doing a more specialized outsourced process, then a PPAP might be beneficial. Good luck.

Top Bottom