TS16949: Product Audit vs. "Regular Checks"

C

cyaneyed

Hi Covers,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I am having trouble really nailing down how the product audit requirement of TS can and should be performed within our organization. We conduct business process and manufacturing process audits well enough, but I struggle to make sense of the product audit requirement.

We have machinists and assemblers doing regular checks as defined in the control plan. We also have a quality inspector doing regular checks as defined in the control plan. The interaction between these guys is basically a big Venn diagram - there a a few things only operators check (such as a rough cut), and a few things only inspectors check (such as roughness), but the inspector is doing a fair amount of what is essentially double-checking.

Because the inspector is so ingrained into the process, I can't see calling his work a true "product audit." So, do I have to get a third person (say, a tech) to go out and recheck what's already being checked twice? Or is there a much easier way to do this and I am just overthinking it?

When the standard says "...at appropriate stages of production & delivery, to verify conformity to all specified requirements such as product dimensions, functionality, packaging and labeling." that just sounds like what our quality inspectors do, but would that fly with an auditor?

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi Covers,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I am having trouble really nailing down how the product audit requirement of TS can and should be performed within our organization. We conduct business process and manufacturing process audits well enough, but I struggle to make sense of the product audit requirement.

We have machinists and assemblers doing regular checks as defined in the control plan. We also have a quality inspector doing regular checks as defined in the control plan. The interaction between these guys is basically a big Venn diagram - there a a few things only operators check (such as a rough cut), and a few things only inspectors check (such as roughness), but the inspector is doing a fair amount of what is essentially double-checking.

Because the inspector is so ingrained into the process, I can't see calling his work a true "product audit." So, do I have to get a third person (say, a tech) to go out and recheck what's already being checked twice? Or is there a much easier way to do this and I am just overthinking it?

When the standard says "...at appropriate stages of production & delivery, to verify conformity to all specified requirements such as product dimensions, functionality, packaging and labeling." that just sounds like what our quality inspectors do, but would that fly with an auditor?

cyaneyed,

By definition audit is independent. So, yes, product audit does mean independent verification that the product conforms to the specified requirements.

Your independent quality inspections should suffice provided they also include product packaging and labeling.

John

Top Bottom