USB Connector Operator Protection (MOPP)

U

UlikSulit

Good day! I am finally happy that my search lead me to this forum. I really appreciate it. I have a question for a device that soon will undergo to a 60601-1 inspection and I hope someone can help me.
It is class II with type B applied parts, PSU with 2 MOPP, secondary circuits at 12Vdc, metallic enclosure and there is an usb connector for data transferring to the customers computer.
There are two independent PCB inside the device, one that contains the above mentioned PSU that powers a plate applied to the patient, the other PCB is indipendent and contains an USB hub board that will be powered directly from a computer , the frame of the usb connector is also contacting the frame of the enclosure which is metallic and not earthed. My question is what kind of insulation should the usb provide considering it will be just for operator use? The measurements of touch currents with mains applied on the usb will cause this test to fail since the enclosure of the device cotact the external frame of the usb connector, Can we skip this test providing appropriate instructions? Thank you for your effort and many regards!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Peter Selvey

Staff member
If it is a Type B applied part it could be difficult without an isolation barrier.

Is the USB connection intended for use while connected to the patient?

If no, it could be a technical pass, but then it would be good if the risk management also considers if the user ignores instructions and leaves the connection in place anyway.

That risk would then depend on the nature patient contact (impedance, duration, status of the patient etc).

V

Velarde

Type B Applied Parts must be isolated by at least 1 MOPP (1500V dielectric strength test minimum) from other parts, that includes USB Port.

U

UlikSulit

Thank you Peter , thank you Velarde. I am sorry if I am late, I have lost my hopes but fortunately you replied, and that is great. Following to your comments, there will be no contact with the patients between part that contain usb connector but in some situations the usb lead can be in close proximity. If we consider that only Operator will have access to the the USb I understand from your comments requirements of mains on SIP/SOP can be waived. Could ypu please advise to which caluse of the standard I can rely to waive this test? Waiting from you, many thanks!

V

Velarde

The patient (Applied Parts) must have two MOPPs from Mains Power Supply, and the Operator must have two MOOPs from Mains Power Supply too. If you install in your ME Equipment an USB port and it is electrically connected (not isolated) to Applied Parts (for example they have the same earths (electrically connected)), you decrease the protection to 1 MOPP because USB port provides 1 MOPP because it only have a basic isulation provided by PC (personal computer) power supply. Basically you will break the isolation of the patient. For that reason you need an extra 1 MOPP in order to isolate Applied parts from USB Port. Another thing is the possibility of risk. The isolation of PC Power supply may break, or an dangerous voltage could touch the USB port (its a ME Equipment, cautions could seem exagerated), it is a first defect condition. You need isolation betwen metallic enclosure not connected to earth an your USB Port, that is for Operator Protection. I think you can not avoid the test, you need isolation.
Best regards

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S How can I justify adequacy of USB connector soldered on the product Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
E SIP/SOP requirements for USB port used for charging IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
E Isolation requirements for USB/Ethernet IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B USB-Connection - Creepages and Clearances IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Medical Device Software Distribution for a CE-marked medical device via a USB memory stick EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Development of 2xMOPP galvanic isolator for USB-connected device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
L PC in patient environment - BF applied part that uses USB to connect to PC IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
N USB Powered EEG - USB provides 1 MOPP want 2 MOPP IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Labelling Requirements for USB-Powered Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
K UL 6601 - Would an off-the-shelf Android tablet, powered by USB, pass UL 6601? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R USB power between Medical Device Data Collection Device Component IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
P HIPAA Privacy - Login password or USB Access key? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
E Safety Requirements for Bioimpedance Measuring Device Power via USB Cable IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K USB Charger Adapter/USB Cable - A Medical Device Accessory? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Medical device worn on body with USB, isolation, 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J Cost Effective Solution for Isolating USB 5V 500mA Power IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
S Off the Shelf Parts - Serial to USB adapter for a Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Q Mitutoyo USB Cables for Variables Data Collection using a Dial Snap Gage Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T USB Drive Encryption and Protection After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
C USB, Clearances and Earth Leakage - Medical Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S Off the shelf Serial to USB Adapter Impact on 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S USB Cable (an accessory to our data management software) Changes and 510k IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
I Minitab 14 USB Hardware Key Availbility Using Minitab Software 7
C USB dongle licensing system for Medical Imaging Software Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
A Medical device with NON medical PC - USB galvanic insulation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A USB Port Isolation as per IEC60601-1 - Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R USB Port (Signal I/O) Isolation as per IEC60601-1 - Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 40
T Calibration of a digital usb temprature probe. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Jen Kirley Have you tried recording vinyl to MP3s and or CDs? Turntable with USB port? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
Marc Credit Union Audit - Social Engineering, the USB Way After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
J Free USB Drive from Microsoft! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 47
L Class 2b USB enabled diagnostic devices...Clinical trials ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S ISO 5356-1 - 22 mm ring gauges and test laboratories for an Anesthetic connector Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
L Is a RJ45 LAN Connector worn on Body Medically Safe? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
P Connector Tin Plating Peel-off during Soldering Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
N Cable Connectors - Insulation does not go all the way into the back of the connector Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Colors of Controls - RF Generating Device Handpiece Connector IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
W Hach 5 Pin Connector Pinout Diagram needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Application of Foil to Enclosure (Recessed Connector) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Does the Banana connector deviate from the IEC 60601-2-25? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
D Defibrillation Energy Reduction ? PWB Connector Pitch Spacing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
R IEC 60601-1 - RS232 Connector Requirements - Female Connectors question IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
M Anybody seeing negative trends with Connector manufacturers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
Manix Can anyone define an Antenna Connector DIN/ISO Standard? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
M SMA Connector Measurement - Measurement Equipment to Measure the Ferrule Length General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
H EU MDR Economic Operator notifications? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Inter-operator Variability Testing - Requirements for EU Medical Device Regulations 5