Verification of Supplier RCCAs

NDesouza

Involved In Discussions
Hello All,
I have been assigned to go into a supplier facility to verify RCCAs for a few scars. There is no written procedure for this on our company drive and my manager just told me that what I do for this verification will be standardized at some point. I need to look at some general procedures for verifying Supplier RCCAs. Does anyone have a simple procedure I could review? HELP!:bonk::unsure:

Thanks,
Nicole

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
anyone have a simple procedure I could review?

Good day @NDesouza ;
Please allow me to ask, ...
1- How is your own proficiency with problem solving, root cause analysis, corrective action, recurrence prevention?
2- How is your understanding and proficiency with process control and sustainability application?

The reason I ask these is, that if you are strong in both of these areas, then you are in a great position to verify your suppliers actions. Sorry to say, a "procedure" is not really what you need. What you need is to have the aforementioned skill sets.

If you do not have these skill sets, then the onus is on your manage to make sure you are provided the training, resources, and engagement in order to develop them.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Questions to ask. Adaptations will need to be made depending on the situation. Not all will apply in every situation.

Was the RCCA fully implemented? (If incomplete, has acceptable progress been made?)
Were key details documented so someone will not unknowingly change things back in the future? (ie someone in the future will know why the changes were done and hopefully will not change back.)
Were necessary corrective and preventive action documentation updates made?
Was the process (documented and undocumented) updated?
Were the physical changes made? (i.e. poka a yoke, equipment modifications, workstation layout changes, etc)
Were software, database, and machine programing changes made?
Were items needed purchased? (For capital items [equipment, major software purchases, building modifications, etc.], is the selection or design process well under way?)
Were people trained, about changed processes and documents, or to correct training deficiencies?
Are actions still in effect/in use?
If not, why?
If not still in effect,, was the original corrective action not effective or was it effective but a better way was implemented?
How many times have your products or similar products for other customers tested the corrective action?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Echoing John Abnet’s post, the best way to understand a supplier’s RCCA is to be proficient in problem solving yourself. While outdoorsNW is absolutely correct in teh series of questions regarding implementation of the selected solution it is only ONE aspect of effectiveness. If teh supplier hasn’t really identified the cause or hasn’t chosen the correct solution for that cause, then implementation will have no effect. Does their root cause investigation make sense? Is it backed up by data? Does the chosen solution ‘match’ the cause? Is it appropriate? (For example simply implementing another inspection or training of operators does nothing to stop or correct the problem let alone correct the cause)

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
I go about it the same way I do for internal RCCA verification. I don't generally go on-site, but I ask them to send the evidence to me.

Top Bottom