What do you read? Review Authors You Like!

I just went through a rather grisly book about the Stockholm bloodbath in 1520. It happened as a result of a lengthy conflict between Swedish pro-unionists and anti-unionists (supporters of Swedish independence) and a successful invasion of Sweden by Danish forces under the command of Christian II

About 80 - 90 anti-unionists lost their heads (mainly nobility) or got hung (mostly clergy).

This book also tells the story about Bishop Hans Brask of Lindköping, who survived the carnage in spite of the fact that he had signed a document aimed at Swedish independence (under force). Under his seal he is supposed to have hidden a note saying "Härtill är jag nödd och tvungen - "To this I am forced and compelled. This evidently saved his neck, and actually led to a Swedish probverb that is being used to this day.

Hey: Don't forget to hook up to the Readers Corner

/Claes :read:

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Talking of grisly books, I just read Azincourt (pronounced Agincourt in the UK) which is a novel based on fact regarding the battle of Agincourt between the English and the French in the early 1400's. Boy it was brutal.

It is probably best know for the success of the English archers who were using the longbow and each could fire around 6 arrows/minute. The number of archers is not precise but thought to be approx 5000 - which means around 30,000 arrows/minute were being fired at the French army who numbered around 50,000 men.

Despite this storm of arrows, many of the French soldiers got through to the English lines and that is where the brutality really began. A great book by Bernard Cornwell.

K

Kevin H

Latest non-fiction books include The Black Swan, The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. Very interesting - but not a quick read, and one I want to reread.

I'm also slogging through Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity by John Stossel of ABC's 20/20 (this one will probably be of more interest to US readers)

The other book I'm reading slowly is The Gunsmith of Grenville County, Building the American Long Rifle by Peter A. Alexander. It concentrates on the techniques to build Golden Age muzzle loading rifles primarily from Eastern PA in York and Lancaster counties.

I've received a couple books by Bernard Cornwell as gifts, I've tried reading them a couple times and just couldn't generate the long term interest to get much beyond the first 10 or so pages.

L

lego55

Hmmmm, good question!

I like:

Malcom Gladwell - "The Tipping Point," "Blink," "Outliers." He has the most unique way of looking at humans.

Mary Roach - "Stiff," "Bonk," "Spook." All great reads. Amazing facts and histories of cadavers, mediums, and human sexuality.

Thomas L. Friedman - "The World is Flat." I'll never look at the technical world the same.

Temple Grandin - "Animals in Translation," "Animals Make us Human" (new), "The Way I See It" (new). Author is a Colorado Professor, who along with having autism, has designed over half of the cattle slaughter ramps for the US. McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. only will use her ramps to provide less stressed cattle, which in turn produces better meat. Her view on auditing is interesting.

Dean Koontz - just pure fun. Like him better than S. King because Koontz makes you care about the characters.

Thanks for asking!

N

nigelh

Hi All,

I've been a fan of different authors over the years but history or science type writers have always been favs -

Robin Cook - Read alot of his early books like Coma, Mindbend, etc but went off him after Blindsight
Tom Clancy - For me Red Storm Rising was his best.
Dick Francis - early books are the best. Read one of his latest about a chef in the racing industry and was a little disappointed
Matthew Reilly - Australian writer and great to read if you're into war type stories
John Birmingham - Like Matthew Reilly but his trilogy of WWII meets modern day technology is a good read
Bernard Cornwell - Been reading his Sharpe series for nearly 20 years and love the books
Alister MacLean - He wrote alot of great books
Clive Cussler - The Dirk Pitt series of books are great reads if you're on a long trip or its cold and wet outside

I used to read about 4 or 5 books a month a few years ago, but now I'm lucky if I can read a book a month. Currently in between books.

Nigel

S

sadananda_pvc

Re: GHAJINI: Visual Management

Dear All,
Being movies are used as part of training potentially. The Bollywood Movie Ghajini made a remarkable presentation to perceive the Visual Control Management including all Management System.

Thanking You,
SADANANDA

I just finished Bones of the Hills by Conn Iggulden. I really liked it, and went on to buy Gates of Rome yesterday: Same author, but about Julius Cesar.

Please note that we now have a user group for the bibliophiles and bookworms among us: Readers Corner. Welcome. :bigwave:

/Claes :read:

J

Jimmy the Brit

I just finished Bones of the Hills by Conn Iggulden. I really liked it, and went on to buy Gates of Rome yesterday: Same author, but about Julius Cesar.

I am doing it the other way round - I loved the Emperor series (gates of Rome etc..) and am half way through the Genghis Khan series. I don't know how close he stays to history, but he writes an exciting book!

I strongly recommend the Bernard Cornwell Grail Quest books (Harlequin etc..), as well as his most recent Azincourt - they definitely have the same feel as the Iggulden books. I am less of a fan about Cornwell's Uhtred books, about King Arthur and the Vikings, but that is just because I find it so hard to take that King Arthur, a British hero, was such a wet blanket!

I will definitely check out the book group

Jimmy

Randy

Super Moderator
I recommend the BIBLE, everything is there....

It would depend upon the version there pardner and I've had a hard time finding a recipe for guacamole in my KJV, so apparently everything isn't there.;)

Many years ago I read "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia to y'all uneducated). The book provided very good information about the founding of the Arab state and the people themselves.

Two other books I read years ago are:

"Dispatches" by Michael Herr about the Viet Nam War

"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown which covers the history of the Indian in the American West

All three of these books had great effect upon me personally. (As did my KJV)

Top Bottom