What happened to Firefox?

K

kgott

I have a spot of bother with FF 14.0.1 on a freshly reinstalled Win7 32: In spite of a 100Mbps cable connection, I get a ridiculous 4-5 Mbps out of FF while the latest versions of Explorer and Chrome cranks out at least 75Mbps...

/Claes

I upgraded to new version of firefox some time ago and since then it crashes at least once every time I get on the net. I also quite regularly the blue screen of death which is just great when I'm half way through downloading a video that takes a big chunk of my bandwith. I've just about given up on FF.

I might give Chrome a go.

I upgraded to new version of firefox some time ago and since then it crashes at least once every time I get on the net. I also quite regularly the blue screen of death which is just great when I'm half way through downloading a video that takes a big chunk of my bandwith. I've just about given up on FF.
That bad? My only problem was that it ate nigh on all the bandwidth. Apart from that everything worked fine, albeit s....l....o...w....l....y.... :notme:

I might give Chrome a go.
It works fine for me, and it took just seconds to import everything from FF to Chrome and get up and running.

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Until Claes raised the issue, I hadn't really thought much about FF, but now that I have been jarred by the comments here, I DO NOTICE my 14.0.1 version works a lot worse on the old XP machines than on the Windows 7 machines and it does seem to be running even slower than usual on the XP machines which have "locked up" on occasion (no lockup noticed on my two Windows 7 machines.)

Until Claes raised the issue, I hadn't really thought much about FF, but now that I have been jarred by the comments here, I DO NOTICE my 14.0.1 version works a lot worse on the old XP machines than on the Windows 7 machines and it does seem to be running even slower than usual on the XP machines which have "locked up" on occasion (no lockup noticed on my two Windows 7 machines.)
Problems with an entirely different setup? That is interesting. I assume you are not using F-secure either?

/Claes

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Problems with an entirely different setup? That is interesting. I assume you are not using F-secure either?

/Claes
I'm stuck with the XP because two of my favorite printers (an HP B/W laser and an HP color ink jet/scanner/fax) do not have drivers available for Windows 7. I hate to throw the babies out with the bathwater in a home setup, but if I were in a business office environment, I'd bite the bullet in a heartbeat - no room for sentiment when it costs time which equals $$$.

I have upgraded the Win 7 machines with compatible color laser and scanner (HP again) MY B/W laser is about 10 years old, with an average print of 1,000 pages (2 reams) per month sometimes as high as 2500 when I run Association print jobs and I have never had a problem with it.

Laughably, I still have several dot matrix printers (plus one super duty line printer which had an average monthly duty of 15,000 pages, including labels and card stock) stored in my garage which run off parallel cables - they work swell and I'm looking for a home for them which still prints multipage NCR forms. In my machining company, we switched to all laser printers and never looked back. In aerospace, we used two small laser printers for general correspondence and one of those Xerox solid ink color printers - very high quality color reproduction and jam-free operation. Xerox gave us free monthly rental and free black ink - we only paid for paper and colored ink - we printed all the manuals that go with equipment installed on aircraft (I think we used about 25 reams of paper a month for all three printers and the copy machine - about 12,500 pages.) Xerox still offers the deal in the USA (https://www.freecolorprinters.xerox.com/)

Well... I ignited this thread because the Firefox + FSecure combination ate most of my bandwidth. Now that I have begun looking into things, I get the feeling that Firefox has caught the Microsoft exploder bug: Elefantasis.

It really is a pity as FF:s original claim to fame was that it used to be able to run rings around Explorer. I don't know any figures, but that does not seem to be the case anymore...

/Claes

Time to revive this old thread: Firefox is now at version 29, and this version really rocks: It is back to it's old form and then some: very fast, the clash with F-Secure is gone, and the redesigned layout is really great: The menus nick very little screen space.

Opinions?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The only thing that I don't like about it is that the menu bar is above the tabs and there's nothing you can do about it. This has been the default in the past, but now there's no option. There is an extension called Classic Theme Restorer that will "fix" some things with 29 that some people might not like. The status bar at the bottom of the screen is gone as well.

There is a new menu function that works pretty well and does save space by eliminating the need for the menu bar. There are lots of options for adding buttons--see the attachment.

Overall, I think it's a step in the right direction, and a move towards removing complications and making the browser more like Chrome. A lot of people won't like it, but time marches on.

Top Bottom