What is an uncontrolled copy of a controlled document?

A

Andy Bassett

I see in many companies documents with 'uncontrolled copy' stamped on it.

Which part of the ISO Standard is driving this? Is it not possible to circulate copies of documents as and when required, and simply state in your Documentation Guidelines that all documents have to be presumed to be uncontrolled and that if they want an original they have to go to the either the EDP server if it is a EDP file, or to the Drawing Cupboard if it is for example a hardcopy.

The alternative seems to be to stamp on the offending document 'Uncontrolled Copy', and the result is that theoretically nobody could or should work from such documents.

Regards

Andy Bassett

------------------
Andy B

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The stamp idea is a real 'oldie'. Basically you should identify what is controlled and everything else is 'for reference only'. You don't need to stamp it or such perISO 9001.

So - document control drives it in some companies with old ideas - my opinion. It is important that everyone know what is controlled and why.

This all comes down to people making decisions. For example, most engineering functions have documents of external origin as an issue because significant decisions are based on things like customer prints. Companies which use stamps (or labels, etc.) use them to identify documents upon which 'significant' decisions must not be made. In my implementations I encourage companies to ensure the theory / reasoning is understood (at all levels!) so they don't need stamps or labels. The last client I had which used stamps in this way was back in 1996.

D

Derek

Depending on the size of the organisation will depend on the best method of controlling documents. For smaller organisations I have seen the controlled copy only stamped and or signed. The uncontrolled copy is not stamped. In larger organisations I have used a barcode system where the controlled copy has a barcode label stuck on the front. The controlled documents are registered and the formal distributions also recorded. Therefore the uncontrolled copies either do not have abarcode label or a photocopy of the label. All staff are aware of whats a feral document and may not be the latest & greatest.

S

Sam

"What is a uncontrolled document?"

Level I and II documents submiited to a customer for review.

All documents/drawings/literature that effect the quality of the product during the decision making/verification/validation process are required to be controlled copies.

I see no need for any document/drawing/literature to be stamped,or otherwise identified,as uncontrolled/for reference only. Dispensing of such items causes confusion and endless dicussion about their use.

E

energy

4.5.2 (c) " any obsolete documents retained for legal and or KNOWLEDGE-PRESERVATION purposes are suitably identified" What easier way to identify those documents other than a de-controlled stamp, regardless of what century? This stamp is available at all copiers and is to be used sparingly. As long as you state this practice in your procedure, not to worry. Opinions don't matter.

G

Greg Mack

Dear Andy,

A simple definition of an "Uncontrolled Document":

A document that is not maintained or updated. Uncontrolled documents do not have a traceable distribution. Uncontrolled documents should be current at the time of issue and marked appropriately, at least with the words “uncontrolled”.

I think that should clarify your thoughts on this subject in addition to what the others have mentioned.

B

Bill@Owens - 2001

I recently reviewed one of my companies suppliers and their approach to controlled/ uncontrolled documents. His system masters were based electronically using Word documents. Anytime a person printed out anything from the system, there would be a disclaimer at the bottom of the page reading "This document will be considered uncontrolled after 24 hours from (time & date stamp)". The document would print out with a time and date stamp based on the time of print out. Therefore, no need to physically stamp anything. Even if a worker has one of these documents which have been buried in his/her toolbox for 6 months, the auditor would see the time & date stamp and disclaimer and see that it is an uncontrolled document. This supplier was registered with no pre assessment audit and passed with no major non-conformances.

A

Alf Gulford

Just to add a bit to what Bill says: We use the '24 hour' footer with great success, but we also have occasion to use documents with "Controlled" stamped on them for various reasons. Everyone has been trained that it's only controlled if the stamp is Red. If it's black, as in a photo-copy, it's not controlled, regardless of the stamp.

Alf

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
what is an uncontrolled doccument?

what ever you say it is in your procedure!!!
Typically/traditionally its one that will not be replaced with a new copy when the rev changes.

A

Al Dyer

Barb,

I would just like to add that there are different requirements in the various standards/specifications.

As an example, if you are automotive and QS or TS, it is required that the business plan shall be a controlled document which is not a requirement of ISO-9k:1994. I'm not sure about ISO-9k:2000.

ASD...

Top Bottom