What Spill Containment to Put at Dock Door

S

sabeard1975

Good morning all.
I have another question. What spill containment should I put at our dock doors in case one of the trucks that delivery/pick up has a spill. We have a trench drain right under the dock door. Would the inflatable pool be sufficient?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Good morning all.
I have another question. What spill containment should I put at our dock doors in case one of the trucks that delivery/pick up has a spill. We have a trench drain right under the dock door. Would the inflatable pool be sufficient?

Can you be a little more specific?
  • What type of truck?
  • Volume?
  • Product?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Good morning all.

Sand...
The next big question is how to dispose the contaminated sand ...

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
As Stijloor has said, it helps to know type of chemical, quantities of shipping containers, and type of delivery truck.

For tanker trucks a kiddie pool may work for some chemicals - but not all types, as some solvents may soften the plastic of the kiddie pool. I would use one with hard sides by the way - imagine saying "Wait while I blow this up!" as a spill spreads. :nope:

For smaller containers such as 55 gallon drums a spill kit may contain appropriate absorbents and for dry spills a clean drum with tight fitting lid, plus a dedicated broom and dust pan might suffice.

You are in Georgia - your Georgia Environmental Deskbook site may be able to provide insights if there are regulations in place for spill containment. There is a EPD Emergency Response Program phone number to call at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
As was stated what you need is absolutely dependant upon the types of materials that could be spilt and/or the quantities that could be spilt...You could need everything and anything from a roll of paper towels and mop to a full fledged Haz-Mat response team capable of working in Level "A" protection.

Don't go about guessing, get some local assistance to help you because response requirments are also Local/State/Federal Specific and can cross from OSHA to EPA to DOT and even DHS in some cases.

Top Bottom