Interesting Discussion Where Does Marketing/ Advertisement of Products fit in to ISO 9001?

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
Hello there!

I am creating an entire QMS for my company from scratch. I am currently trying to map out all of the necessary processes and trying to figure out where my Marketing Department fits in all of this.
My company (in a nut shell) Is a small VAR (Value Added Reseller) business that sells IT solutions to the government.
We receive contracts from the government, find a vendor, create a quote, and activate the Purchase Order. (We don't physically handle any products, its all communication online) but then we track shipments, receive payment, and follow up with customers to ensure satisfaction of complete shipment.

We have a Marketing department that attends trade shows and advertises for our company and vendors to educate customers of our services (for the government)They manage our website, social media, and vendor relations...

I have a clear understanding of the ISO requirements and so far have created all the necessary buckets (I think).
However, our Marketing department doesn't really fit in to our over all business "goal"/ turtle diagram.

The main business flow and goal is to receive RFQs (Request for Quote), and fulfill the Purchase order.
So our inputs would be: Government contracts/ RFQs...
But Marketing is sort of an action that takes place before we even determine our inputs...

So where does Marketing fit in? and how is that area of things audited?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
So where does Marketing fit in?
Marketing is in the front end of customer (existing & potential) interface and can easily disrupt (negatively) expectations of what an organization can deliver;

over-promise + under-deliver = unhappy customer.

Pay close attention to ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 a) and 8.2.2 b).
Good luck.

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
Marketing is in the front end of customer (existing & potential) interface and can easily disrupt (negatively) expectations of what an organization can deliver;

over-promise + under-deliver = unhappy customer.

Pay close attention to ISO 9001:2015 8.2.1 a) and 8.2.2 b).
Good luck.

So I understand "communication with customers" and that aspect is defined and clear in the RFQs, contract reviews and agreements to meet customer requests and specifications...(which in that case would fall under the Sales Department of communication and meeting requirements..)

But what about Advertisement and Marketing? i.e. attending Trade Shows and Managing social media accounts and company websites to advertise SBA (Small Business Accreditation) Certifications and Charity work that we are involved in to display good community services and be recognized by the government (our customers) for such deeds..

I'm struggling with trying to find a place for this area in the business flow chart.
and as I try to create a Process for "Marketing" i don't know where to map it...

Marketing, to me, is pretty much a "Pre-Sales" action.. Marketing brings customers in... but what I am understanding is that ISO is monitoring the actual business flow and customer satisfaction, continuous improvement of quality work, product and services...

So where does Marketing fit.. I'm still confused...

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Marketing, to me, is pretty much a "Pre-Sales" action.. Marketing brings customers in... but what I am understanding is that ISO is monitoring the actual business flow and customer satisfaction, continuous improvement of quality work, product and services...

Good marketing goes beyond promoting an organization's product/services. Good marketing is also proactive and forecasts/anticipates future customer needs. Yes, marketing is in the front-end of sales, but it should also be in the back end of post-delivery.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader

I don't remember seeing any flow charts with marketing to be able to show you an example. Maybe someone here can help. I assume you're doing something like these: https://elsmar.com/pdf_files/Flow_Charts_for_2000.pdf - With a top level flow diagram (Pages 11, 12, etc.

When I was doing implementations some years ago I never included marketing. It just never came up. I can't say I have ever done a marketing flow chart.

If anyone else can help with an example, it will be appreciated!

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
Good marketing goes beyond promoting an organization's product/services. Good marketing is also proactive and forecasts/anticipates future customer needs. Yes, marketing is in the front-end of sales, but it should also be in the back end of post-delivery.

I see what you're saying! I definitely have them covered for "customer satisfaction" with surveys and follow ups.. I just was trying to figure out where the advertising aspect fits in.
Thank you!

BeaBea

Involved In Discussions
Thank you Marc,
Ya that was my next question, was do i just exclude the "advertising step" out of the ISO program?
I was trying to ensure every aspect of the company that contributed to sales was covered, but this is a tough one that i can't figure out where to add it.

I took an ISO auditor class and Marketing/ Advertising was not really mentioned in the exercises...

jmech

Trusted Information Resource
In many organizations, marketing has not traditionally been included in the QMS. Usually, no explicit exclusion of marketing is stated. Stated exclusions usually relate to ISO 9001 requirements that are excluded as not applicable to the organization, not to activities/departments outside the scope of the QMS.

Ensure your processes meet ISO 9001. It's fine if this includes having the marketing department handle the customer satisfaction surveys. Additional activities, such as advertising and managing social media, can be performed without being wedged into the QMS.

Marc

Leader
I was thinking about this a bit and it is interesting to think about. I was thinking marketing would be starting during design and development. This afternoon I was watching 'History Detectives' episode that had a person who had a McDonalds Ronald McDonald costume And wanted to know if it was the original Ronald McDonald Costume. The evolution of advertising throughout McDonald's history was, and is, interesting.

Bottom line is marketing and advertising can come in at any time, which makes sense when you think about it. Also of tangental interest was the McDonalds monopoly game fraud of the 1990's. I think it was Netflix that did a 6 part series which detailed the people and how the fraud was done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_Monopoly - McDonalds Monopoly Game fraud.

Also: https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-monopoly-game-rigged-scam-report-2018-7?op=1

Marc

Leader
Ya that was my next question, was do i just exclude the "advertising step" out of the ISO program?

I would think so. I would focus on your quality related processes. That is just my opinion. Others here may see it differently.

Top Bottom