Why do most companies have Quality reporting to Engineering or Operations and not to CEO?

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
The best statement is not having "Quality" and having it be the responsibility of the process owners to know and meet requirements.

"Quality" as a function is obsolete, IMO.
True, but I look at it in the principal roads have speed limits and 99% of people stick to them but the 1% needs somebody policing it

Big Jim

Admin
"Quality" as a function is obsolete, IMO.

That would be sort of a "yes/no".

Perhaps as an individual person functioning in that role, and that could be debated depending on company culture. But as a set of governing rules applied by many in the organization collectively, it should never be obsolete. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Risk assessment and risk mitigation.

Until that day when every employee believes that meeting requirements is mandatory, all the time, then somebody needs to referee the game.

I've worked for too many outfits where the pressures to cut corners outweighed the incentives to do it right, despite lip service and certificates.

Kronos147

Until that day when every employee believes that meeting requirements is mandatory, all the time, then somebody needs to referee the game.

In the perfect system, that is the culture.

The referee is built into process checks and balances, including internal audits and management review.

I know, I have pie in the sky dreams!

Ronen E

Problem Solver
The best statement is not having "Quality" and having it be the responsibility of the process owners to know and meet requirements.
In an ideal world, definitely.
In our own damaged reality, the result is more likely to be along the lines of "Yeah, we'll make sure everything is alrighty, sort of, except when it's a bit complicated, eh..." or worse: "Cool!... The big guys don't seem to care, let's party!"

mattador78

Quite Involved in Discussions
Is that a joke?... From what I see, a large percentage don't obey speed limits most of the time.
It was a poor example perhaps but the principle applies the majority do what they are supposed to whereas a minority flaunt the law

normzone

I wonder if we ran a poll on this topic re who answers to who on this forum what the results would be.

I am transitioning a fresh quality manager into the role (that makes it sound as though they were a tire or a horse) and periodically advocate for efforts to change where the department sit in the org chart.

Top Bottom