Regarding the same CQE preparation - I am preparing for CQE exam

C

catlionus

Hello,

This message is very important for me because it is my first post on the cove :eek: .
I am a beginner in quality, with a great industrial engineering work experience
I am preparing for CQE exam which will be on June 4-th, and after I’ve read some treads from the forum I will be glad to receive your advice concerning the best preparation for this very difficult, in my opinion, exam.
I started the preparation some months ago with Thomas Pyzdek Quality Engineer Handbook, and now I am studying ASQ CQE self-directed course.
In March I’ll begin a refresher course organized by ASQ Montreal 0401 Section.
The refresher already announced me that we will use in our preparation CQE Primer of QCI.
I would like to have some valuable opinions about this route from the members with the most recent similar experience.
I am also interested to virtually meet any neighbor from Montreal area with the same concerns.
I would also want to thank in advance for your very interesting responses, as usually :thanx: .

Yours truly,
Leonardo

D

D.Scott

Welcome to the Cove.

I have no recent experience with the exam but I do know your line of study and preparation is the right one to take. I am sure you will find, after the preparation you propose, that the exam is not as hard as you first thought. Good luck on the exam and in your quality career.

Dave

C

catlionus

Thanks

Thank you for your advised response and encouraging me.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
catlionus said:
Thank you for your advised response and encouraging me.
Welcome, Leonardo Regarding the same CQE preparation - I am preparing for CQE exam
I note you posted the same question in the ASQ Certification Forum, moderated by Govind, who is also a moderator here in the Cove. Generally speaking, the ASQ Forum is much more focused on the nitty gritty of preparation and reference materials for test candidates than we are here in the Cove. There is an added feature that ASQ staffers frequently check into the ASQ Forum to answer specific "how do I . . .?" and "how does ASQ . . .?" questions.

For non-ASQ members, it is instructive to note the ASQ Certification Forum is open to the public at
https://www.asq.org/discussionBoards/forum.jspa?forumID=52
Certification Discussion
The board is available to both ASQ members and the public to share information related to ASQ certification programs and processes. Moderator: Govindarajan Ramu

H

holly21

Like you, I'm an engineer (mechanical) new to quality and plan to take the CQE in the future. What is your opinion of the self-directed materials from ASQ?

C

catlionus

Opinion

Self-directed material from ASQ is for me the core of my preparation, until now, and I find very, very useful tool in this moment.
I am not sure that I'll not change my opinion after the refresher course.
But now as a new comer in quality I can say after reading Thomas Pyzdek Quality Engineer Handbook that the self-directed material from ASQ is more complete and give us, me, a lot of knowledge.
I’d be very honored if I'll have your feedback according this subject.
Thank you for your question.

T

type_R_gino

catlionus said:
Hello,

This message is very important for me because it is my first post on the cove :eek: .
I am a beginner in quality, with a great industrial engineering work experience
I am preparing for CQE exam which will be on June 4-th, and after I’ve read some treads from the forum I will be glad to receive your advice concerning the best preparation for this very difficult, in my opinion, exam.
I started the preparation some months ago with Thomas Pyzdek Quality Engineer Handbook, and now I am studying ASQ CQE self-directed course.
In March I’ll begin a refresher course organized by ASQ Montreal 0401 Section.
The refresher already announced me that we will use in our preparation CQE Primer of QCI.
I would like to have some valuable opinions about this route from the members with the most recent similar experience.
I am also interested to virtually meet any neighbor from Montreal area with the same concerns.
I would also want to thank in advance for your very interesting responses, as usually :thanx: .

Yours truly,
Leonardo

Hello all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I am also going to write the CQE Exam on June 4th (Toronto section). I bought the CQE Primer while doing the Refresher course from Jan-Apr 05. The refresher was quite helpful for me considering I completed most of my Quality course a couple of years ago. Therefore, I have subject specific textbooks to rely upon to learn what I need more time to learn.
ie, Advanced Stats book, DOE Book, etc....

If anyone who has written the exam can give me tips, I would really appreciate it..

:thanx:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome here, we are happy to help you succeed in what you aim for! :bigwave:

The only thing I missed in these discussions is the practice exams. I found the CD ROM versions from both Quality Council of Indiana and Quality America were similar, but I thought the one from Quality America was a trifle more accurate and had a few less repetetive questions. Perhaps there is someone in your section who can loan you theirs; I've done that for a colleague, and he said it really helped. :)

My biggest challenge was in answering the word problems in the statistics section; matching a method to a situation is not my strong suit. The practice exams gave good insight of what to expect and how much time to allot myself for responses--five hours can go by in a hurry!

When I took the exam, programmable calculators were not allowed. I became great friends with my TI36X and still use it out of preference. My point is to become quite comfortable with your calculator, and practice solving those problems under time constraints as well as answering the rest of the BOK questions.

I hope this helps!

S

Slavik

Hi -

I used following books during the CQE exam:

1. The Certified Quality Engineer Handbook (Benbow, Berger, ...) - This book was really useful during the preparation and the exam itself, even though it contains some inaccuracy. This book has a supplemental section with questions from the ASQ CQE exam as well.
2. An Introduction to Quality Management and Engineering (Sower, Savoie, Renick) - I took this book in the library - it helped to study "soft" skills.
3. CQE Primer from CQI
4. Juran's Quality Handbook - I brought it to the exam, but didn't use it.
5. M-Webster dictionary - it was very helpful for me since English is my second language.

Also, I had a good Casio calculator. It was not programmable, but had stat functions.

My advise is try to practice answering exam questions as much as possible, using all available sources. Try answering the same questions again and again to memorize the right answers, formulas and the index of necessary book sources. It will significantly save your time during the exam.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gerry Quinn

FYI

I proctor the exams for my ASQ section.

Programmable calculators are not allowed.

Top Bottom