Small FAA Repair Station & ISO 9001 - I need Help!

F

FLYBOYJ

Greetings! this is my first post on this site (great stuff) I am the QC Manager/ Chief Inspector at a small FAA Repair Station. We do contract aircraft maintenance for the government on light aircraft. We have a "Limited" Airframe and Powerplant rating.

We have just been mandated to comply with ISO 9001-2000. There are certain aspects of Chapter 7 "Production Realization" that I believe are not applicable to our operation (customer related processes, design and development, production & service provision) as we provide a basic service - aircraft maintenance. We don't manufacture anything here, we purchase OEM parts, and just provide a service - aircraft maintenance. My question; Are there any other members in this (or have been) situation? I've worked under Mil-45208A and ISO-9002 and it seems these requirements would be better tailored to my operation.

Last note - My FAA PMI has reviewed my Repair Station Manual and loves it, he could care less if I'm ISO compliant, as he says "I just care about FAR 145." In addition, the government just wants me to be ISO-9001-2000 compliant, no 3rd party registration. Any suggestions or comments?!? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
FLYBOYJ said:
Greetings! this is my first post on this site (great stuff) I am the QC Manager/ Chief Inspector at a small FAA Repair Station. We do contract aircraft maintenance for the government on light aircraft. We have a "Limited" Airframe and Powerplant rating.

We have just been mandated to comply with ISO 9001-2000. There are certain aspects of Chapter 7 "Production Realization" that I believe are not applicable to our operation (customer related processes, design and development, production & service provision) as we provide a basic service - aircraft maintenance. We don't manufacture anything here, we purchase OEM parts, and just provide a service - aircraft maintenance. My question; Are there any other members in this (or have been) situation? I've worked under Mil-45208A and ISO-9002 and it seems these requirements would be better tailored to my operation.

Last note - My FAA PMI has reviewed my Repair Station Manual and loves it, he could care less if I'm ISO compliant, as he says "I just care about FAR 145." In addition, the government just wants me to be ISO-9001-2000 compliant, no 3rd party registration. Any suggestions or comments?!? :confused:
Perhaps design and development is not appropriate, but your product is a maintenance service. Customer related processes are also applicable. Can you specify which clauses you believe are not applicable and why?

S

scout

As-9110

I would suggest you get a copy of AS-9110. That standard is written for repair stations.
Steve

F

FLYBOYJ

Al Rosen said:
Perhaps design and development is not appropriate, but your product is a maintenance service. Customer related processes are also applicable. Can you specify which clauses you believe are not applicable and why?

The customer has not identified specific processes, unless you want to consider AFTO 00-20-1 (USAF Aircraft Maintenance Procedures) as a process. This basically is a guide to aircraft documentation and USAF aircraft maintenance procedures. Our other mode of compliance lies with the Federal Aviation Regulations

8.3 - control of nonconforming product, we don't manufacture anything?!?

Randy

Super Moderator
Non-conforming product can relate to any of your activities that don't meet spec and also to purchased or supplied material.

Are you a cost plus or flat fee based contractor?

I have 18 years of gov't (DoD contracting, 12 with Lockheed on a USAF managed Army aircraft maintenance contract) and I'm an A&P mechanic

F

FLYBOYJ

Randy said:
Non-conforming product can relate to any of your activities that don't meet spec and also to purchased or supplied material.

Are you a cost plus or flat fee based contractor?

I have 18 years of gov't (DoD contracting, 12 with Lockheed on a USAF managed Army aircraft maintenance contract) and I'm an A&P mechanic

The basic contract is flat fee. We do "over and aboves" when the customer "breaks" an airplane outside the contract maintenance scope.

S

scout

FLYBOYJ said:

No problem. Once you get the standard and look it over post any questions you may have on the site and I will help if I can. I came from the aircraft maintenace world and am a qualified AS9100/AS9110 auditor.

D

Don Palmer

Don't Jump Into The Fire Just Yet

FlyboyJ, Welcome to The Cove. :bigwave: My organization has 25+ years as FAA Certified Repair Station, and we went ISO 9001:2000 a year and a half ago to accommodate a government contract.

I can't write a lot at the moment, but will do my best to share some answers with you this evening. Additionally, there are others here at the Cove who are well qualified to offer you some good food for thought.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
FLYBOYJ said:
The customer has not identified specific processes, unless you want to consider AFTO 00-20-1 (USAF Aircraft Maintenance Procedures) as a process. This basically is a guide to aircraft documentation and USAF aircraft maintenance procedures. Our other mode of compliance lies with the Federal Aviation Regulations
That's one you've identified. What about contract terms and delivery and customer communications, etc.

FLYBOYJ said:
8.3 - control of nonconforming product, we don't manufacture anything?!?
How do you handle the defective parts removed from the aircraft? What about purchased parts that don't meet purchase order requirements.

Top Bottom