Telescoping Gage - Calibration or Verification

M

merrick65

I have a quick question; one of my customer's wants to send in a telescoping gage set in for calibration at our ISO17025 accredited lab. I don't really think that it needs to be calibrated just inspected to verify the gage works and check for damage; which they can do themselves. Here is a link to a picture of the gage https://www.mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerchandisingGroup.aspx?group=1537 .

Telescoping Gage - Calibration or Verification

You basically set the gage to the part diameter then measure with a micrometer to get the result. Has anyone else been requested to calibrate one of these?

Thanks,
Steve

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Telescoping Gage

I have a quick question; one of my customer's wants to send in a telescoping gage set in for calibration at our ISO17025 accredited lab. I don't really think that it needs to be calibrated just inspected to verify the gage works and check for damage; which they can do themselves. Here is a link to a picture of the gage https://www.mitutoyo.com/TerminalMerchandisingGroup.aspx?group=1537 . You basically set the gage to the part diameter then measure with a micrometer to get the result. Has anyone else been requested to calibrate one of these?

Thanks,
Steve

The customer often needs to be educated on what and on what you can not do with a gage....:rolleyes:

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

The customer often needs to be educated on what and on what you can not do with a gage....:rolleyes:

Stijloor.

I agree. There's no way to actually calibrate the thing, since you don't actually measure anything with it, and the extension of the telescoping elements isn't metered in any way.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

You or the customer might want to confirm the setting doesn't "drift" between the time the gage is deployed against the workpiece and when it is measured by micrometer or other calibrated measuring instrument. (I have a telescoping windshield scraper/squeegee tool which no longer "locks" in place and merely swinging it to rid it of accumulated frost or snow shavings can make it extend 3 to 6 inches.) In the case of a telescoping transfer gage like the one described, such a condition "might" (not likely or probably, but "possibly") pertain if workers are rambunctious with the gage between workpiece and measuring instrument.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
I agree. It is a "calibrate" or more like "set" before use application.

Checking for wear and damage should suffice.

C

Crash Not

I would like to add that I would also check for a "flat spot" type of wear. This would be where the gage contacts the part. This condition could cause incorrect readings if the gage was set between parallel planes, and used to check an I.D. The contact points could be different.

Top Bottom