Preventative Maintenance - Moving to a Predictive Maintenance Program

R

Rick Fox

Good Afternoon,

Recently, I was hired in to manage the engineering and maintenance departments of a Tier 1 automotive supply company. After years of, I won't say neglect, let's say willful ignoring these departments, the company has decided to invest man power capital in them.

Our current preventative maintenance system is extremely weak. I am attempting to move the plant into a predictive maintenance program.

My problem is that my plant / department does not have an existing written preventative maintenance procedure.

Does anyone have an example of a proedure I could read to see exactly what I need?

Any advice would be greatly helpful as well.

Thanks

Rick

Randy

Super Moderator
Advice? Yep, find someone with an extremely strong, hands on background in aviation maintenance (preferably prior military and not some former officer) You best bet would be someone who was in Army rotary wing with a '67 series MOS and from the NCO side of the house, or similar. AF & Navy types are cool, but the problem with them is that most folks will not have the complete range that you'll find in someone who work AVUM & AVIM and possibly flight crew.....People like these understand and know the value of preventive maintenance and can sell it as well

R

Rick Fox

Marc - Our parent company provided a layout they want us to use for the actual PM that will be performed.

I am looking for a procedure that covers an entire PM system. (Either a standard or an SOP).

Rick

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Marc - Our parent company provided a layout they want us to use for the actual PM that will be performed.

I am looking for a procedure that covers an entire PM system. (Either a standard or an SOP).

Rick
Look through the files Randy L linked to and see if any of those have what you're looking for.

If anyone has any others that can be shared, my Thanks in advance for helping out with this one.

R

Rick Fox

A couple were of some use...

Another question for people in automotive industry is how long do maint records need to be kept? I came from medical device industries where the answer to that question was basically 10 years after hell freezes over.

Is it the same with TS systems?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
A couple were of some use...

Another question for people in automotive industry is how long do maint records need to be kept? I came from medical device industries where the answer to that question was basically 10 years after hell freezes over.

Is it the same with TS systems?

Per ISO/TS 16949:2009 Clause 4.2.4.1 Records retention.

The control of records shall satisfy statutory, regulatory and customer requirements.

For example. PPAP records are maintained as long as the part is active + one calendar year. (Per PPAP Manual).

So if there are no statutory, regulatory and customer requirements, it's your organization's decision.

Stijloor.

B

Big-R

Rick:

It sounds like the parent company is providing (machine specific?) PM procedures, so I presume you’re looking for a top level maintenance SOP? The SOP content will vary depending on the industry (regulated, etc.), but there are a few things that should apply to all. It may make sense to create separate SOP’s for these items, and have the top level point to them.

Asset lifecycle tracking: Detail how the maintenance program tracks asset activities from commissioning through decommissioning. This would include installation, moves, modifications, etc.

Work order tracking: Detail how will you enter/track/measure/trend work order events (scheduled and unscheduled). This includes things like measuring PM’s completed on time, and some form of identifying/acting on machines with the highest failure rates.

Spare parts management: If you’re in charge of stocking machine spares, detail how you will manage that system.

Records retention: Detail how you will manage/store/review maintenance records.

Training: Detail how you will train/certify your staff.

The important thing a top level SOP should detail how your maintenance program currently works.

Ryan

R

Rick Fox

Big-R - Thank you...

I have begun writing the document. In May or June, I am moving to a software based CMMS system. (Currently everything is either in a binder somewhere(and good luck finding it) or in an excel spreadsheet.)

I am responsible for parts, machine uptime and repair...

Anyone have a good to excellent example of a high level procedure (not the actual preventative maintenance itself, but the SOP) I could review?

Top Bottom